iTunes causing problems?

Discussion in 'Gaming and Software' started by Tartan_Terrier, Feb 7, 2010.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I had to update iTunes yesterday when I was putting some music onto my daughters ipod.

When she tried switching her ipod on again a couple of hours later it didn't work at all. Perhaps it just needed charging again? So when we got home I tried to switch my computer on. It couldn't complete it's boot up. After I'd switched it off, and restarted it, it went into some start up repair program, then managed to boot up successfully. Great thinks I, but no, now my antivirus and firewall are disabled. Update the software, and off we go again.

I then plug the ipod into the computer to recharge it. No result. It couldn't even find the ipod.

I then downloaded and reinstalled itunes before giving up for the day. I switched it on today, and everything seems A-okay again (including the ipod which the computer now can find again, and has recharged).

Is this likely to have been caused by a fault in the iTunes update? Or have I downloaded something nasty along with it?

I've run a full scan with Malwarebytes, and my antivirus without finding anything, but I don't suppose that's cast iron proof that everything is as it should be.

Any ideas?

2. What version of itunes do you have ?
  3. I would advise you to back everything up that you value immediately. There is possibly a problem looming. iPod and other usb portable devices are just great for carrying problems from one pc to another.
    Just sit back and observe the problem for a few days after you`ve done the backup. Make sure all your virus malware adware etc are up to date and run scans.

Hope this helps.
  4. I've not had the same problems you have, but since the latest iTunes and iPod updates last week, my iTunes comes on randomly, without even being connected to my iPod or iPhone.
  5. Not sure if it's related, but I've been having a problem with my iTouch lately. I purchased the latest software update (mug, I know - but the latest apps need it) but each time I try to install it, iTunes insists I'm not connected to the internet.

That's a bit of a surprise as I have internet sessions open and running fine and I'm able to download and install apps to the iTouch that don't need the update. In fact, all the other functions seem to be running fine, just the installation of the update is wonky.
  6. maguire

maguire LE Book Reviewer

but it's an Apple product - surely it 'just works'?? no? oh dear. :(
  7. It has nothing to do with your puter or the apple i tunes cversion .It is the ipod ythey are prone to stopping working (freeze )i have an ipod 16gthat does it from time to time aand also my i phone does it as well .IF it is actualy on leave it let the battery run down completely and then recharge try again if no joy contact apple custemer services explainand the will help you