Its official - England are crap

Discussion in 'Sports, Adventure Training and Events' started by in_the_cheapseats, Jan 5, 2007.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. in_the_cheapseats

in_the_cheapseats LE Moderator

Hey ho - 5-0. Over less than 20mins and I have had an e-mail already from a Aussie soon to be ex friend.

Here if you really want to be depressed.

How do we go from here? Step one - give the captaincy to a captain, not simply the best player we have. Didn't work with Botham and it would appear to be the same again.

Step two - answers and suggestions here please..... :(
  2. ...move to Australia...
  3. Billy was at school this morning and the teacher asked all the children what their fathers did for a living. All the typical answers came out, Fireman, Policeman, Salesman, Chippy, etc, but Billy was being uncharacteristically quiet and so the teacher asked him about his father.

"My father is an exotic dancer in a gay club and takes off all his clothes in front of other men. Sometimes if the offer is really good, he'll go out with a man, rent a cheap hotel room and let them sleep with him."

The teacher quickly set the other children some work and took little Billy aside to ask him if that was really true.

"No" said Billy, "He plays cricket for England but I was just too embarrassed to say."
  4. You only just realised England is shit?
  5. We need to stop breaking all our best players - Michael Vaughan, Simon Jones, Marcus Trescothick could all have made a difference in this series.

As you said, i_t_c, captaining should be done by the best available captain - probably Andrew Strauss from that squad. Flintoff had far too much to do - you can't expect a guy to bat, bowl, set fields, work out strategy and try and recover from an injury all at once.

We need a wicketkeeper who can bat. James Foster, the Essek keeper, has a first class average of over 30, and hasn't been given a sniff of Test cricket for a very long time.

Preparation needs to be done properly. Why did the team go home after the India tour - they could have fitted in another match, perhaps against better quality opposition. Players shouldn't be allowed to dictate to the captain/coaches - why was Pietersen allowed to bat at 5 for so long, until he changed his mind?

Selection - why were Jones and Giles held onto for so long? That said, I don't think that having Panesar and Read in the team for the whole series would have affected the result.

Ultimately, we were outclassed by the Aussies, and for all England's failings, tribute should be paid to one of the greatest and most focused teams ever to play Test cricket. Thank God we shan't be facing Warne and McGrath again!
  6. Just to clarify things, this is an England are sh1t at cricket thread is it? It's just with the football and the rugby I get confused so easily...
  7. Oh, we're talking about sport?
  8. in_the_cheapseats

in_the_cheapseats LE Moderator

Let's just stick to the cricket. :D