Its not that bad being a soldier...

Sorry to hear you feel that way matey.

All the respect to ya for doing a job worth doing & it's a shame a minority are making you feel like that.

On the other hand, it could be just the town your stationed at? Squaddies tend to party hard if you know what I mean so maybe it's just a public pre-conception in that town (squaddies peeing on each other for giggles, nicking stuff for trophies to stick around the mess rooms).

If you can hack the Army for another year stick it out an hit up the OU for extra qualifications cos Civvie street is a f**king joke at the mo.

Christ Alive, 110 views and the only words of encouragement to a man on the low is that sh't reply there.

F**king hope the Andrew has more team spirit and comraderie than this when I go for basic.

Look at the positive. 110 views and he hasn't been flamed.

Bit difficult to motivate people through the medium of an internet forum.

joey_deacons_lad said:
How long until someone quotes a certain poem? by a bloke that makes cakes on the side
Then quite simply maybe I am not the man I set out to be.

Slick-Rick said:
Christ Alive, 110 views and the only words of encouragement to a man on the low is that sh't reply there.

F**king hope the Andrew has more team spirit and comraderie than this when I go for basic.
Oooh hark at her!
Dont like it? Dont post here the OP has been around long enough to know what it's like on this board

Forks, I'd like to say I sympathise with you but the time I done was a pretty quiet time, only NI to worry about, so I have no idea what you are going through. I do agree that the public MAINLY only seem to remember the forces on certain days of the year. Squaddies have always had a hard time getting into certain establishments, mainlty due to the play hard scenario Slick_Rick mentions, so it's nothing new. Stay with the job, mate, life will get better and your Army mates will be the ones that stay with you for most of your life.

Forks said:
joey_deacons_lad said:
How long until someone quotes a certain poem? by a bloke that makes cakes on the side
Then quite simply maybe I am not the man I set out to be.
Was that a Beatles song? look everybody has a period where they hate their job so look to transfer do a course or get out to BFG and spend your days in a drunken blur boning Fat Boxheads. You will hate civvy street the grass isn't greener and if i've been WAH'ed your a cnut

A lot of unposted views will be people like me. Non-serving student types who don't know what to say because we're not in yet and are very aware that we know fúck all.

Nonetheless, I hope things pick up for you. The people might not appreciate you all the time, but their lives are dependent on the existence of the armed forces so don't let the farm-animals get you down - they can't even see past the bloody fence.

joey_deacons_lad said:
Slick-Rick said:

Oooh hark at her!
Dont like it? Dont post here the OP has been around long enough to know what it's like on this board
:(
*goes to sit on the naughty chair*

Invictus_88 said:
A lot of unposted views will be people like me. Non-serving student types who don't know what to say because we're not in yet and are very aware that we know fúck all.

Nonetheless, I hope things pick up for you. The people might not appreciate you all the time, but their lives are dependent on the existence of the armed forces so don't let the farm-animals get you down - they can't even see past the bloody fence.
Good post.

But far too sensible.

Get back to the pub/Students Union Bar and keep chaisng the talent. Alternatively, switch off arrse and get studying.

You're a student walt. I couldn't have said anything remotely as sensible when I was a student.

I still can't TBH.

You've had good advice so far Forks.

No one has said "Don't post when pisshed" though. :D

We've all done it.

Sparky2339 said:
You're a student walt.
Walts!? We're not walts! I believe the politically correct term for us studenty types is instead "lazy scrounging layabout assf***ers", we like it when you call us that in street... :D

Also forks, any civvy stupid enough not to realise what a great job the forces do isn't smart enough to be worth your time.

(reads mong girls thread) Edit- OK well maybe you could trick em or something in that case....

"Oh great, the public will clap us when we march through the town on an armed forces day, but do they really want us?"

Of course they won't, they don't like to be reminded of what they could have been, yet never tried.

"Every man thinks meanly of himself for not having been a soldier, or not having been at sea." (Samuel Johnson)

Just remind yourself that you are what they wanted to be and that their apparent contempt and mockery is born of shame and self-loathing.

Failing that, gin works quite well for me.

Forks said:
The way I am treated and looked upon merely for my job. The times I have to hide the fact I am in the Army because of the preconceptions that people will make about me. If I go out for a night, I better make sure I hide my MOD 90 and use my passport for ID because they won't let me in otherwise. Growing my hair as long as I possibly can get away with because anything shorter is squaddie like and I'll get 'spotted'.

Yes this is the NAAFi and I expect to be given a hard time, but I am feeling rather disaffected right now and in complete doubt of my service to the country. People are happy for us to go and die in far away places yet they don't want to meet us at home, on the streets and on a night out.

The sooner I am out the better and the contempt I am feeling is only going to grow. Sorry, Britain, but you make me feel like a piece of sh-t and I can't take it. Oh great, the public will clap us when we march through the town on an armed forces day, but do they really want us?
Trust me I got out last year and its definataly NOT better in civiy street, you still get associated with been a squaddie but to add to it they think you got out cos you couldn't hack it anymore no matter what you say.
You just need to ride out the rough patch and stick with it.

Forks,
Reading back through your posts you were in Training Feb/Mar time and have now been posted to Germany.

So you've not really given it much time.

I take it when you are on about getting spotted then you are on about Germany not UK? Try going to places that are not frequented by so many squaddies, you've got a car.
When you are back in the UK then you are just one of the public.

Currently I think the support for the British Army has not been higher for long time.

You've only just started a new career, it takes time to settle.

So head down, train like the wind and shag, you are a young soldier it's your duty.

Do it now before it's all mortgages , pensions and before your knee's give up.

Jesus, I want to joing back up again, I'll have your slot.

frank792 said:
Forks said:
The way I am treated and looked upon merely for my job. The times I have to hide the fact I am in the Army because of the preconceptions that people will make about me. If I go out for a night, I better make sure I hide my MOD 90 and use my passport for ID because they won't let me in otherwise. Growing my hair as long as I possibly can get away with because anything shorter is squaddie like and I'll get 'spotted'.

Yes this is the NAAFi and I expect to be given a hard time, but I am feeling rather disaffected right now and in complete doubt of my service to the country. People are happy for us to go and die in far away places yet they don't want to meet us at home, on the streets and on a night out.

The sooner I am out the better and the contempt I am feeling is only going to grow. Sorry, Britain, but you make me feel like a piece of sh-t and I can't take it. Oh great, the public will clap us when we march through the town on an armed forces day, but do they really want us?
Trust me I got out last year and its definataly NOT better in civiy street, you still get associated with been a squaddie but to add to it they think you got out cos you couldn't hack it anymore no matter what you say.
You just need to ride out the rough patch and stick with it.
If I may be permitted to add and thoroughly endorse the comments above-the grass may literally SEEM greener on the civvy side of the fence,but overall I have to agree with the quoted poster.Am now in the MPGS having done seven years civvy-side and have seen both 'sides' of that 'fence',please stick with it if possible.at least long enough to get the pension(there aren't a lot of THOSE to be had in civvy street,as I'm sure you're aware).

Forks said:

Important thing to remember....

They are civvies, so by default they are sh1t.

And they know it.

Samual Johnson said:
Every man thinks meanly of himself for not having been a soldier, or not having been at sea.
THe moment you put on the uniform for hte first time, you took 14 steps forward of the squad. And they are still in it.

THat premier division footballer with a page three model on his arm and more money that braincells? He's sh1t. ANd he knows it. That's why they cry when they lose.

The civvie lefty types that insults the forces, they do that because they are sh1t, and can't deal with the fact.

MPs that truffle in the trought, they are sh1t so make up for their lack of stature by claiming as much money as they can.

The bouncer who bars you at the door, is doing it because the only thing he can do is stand by a door. He's sh1t and he knows it.

Go out the spree and stand tall. You are better than they, by virture of the profession you lead. And that they are all sh1t.

Theodore Roosevelt said:
Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure, than to take rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much, because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat.
If you have only just joined up, then it's just a bedding in you need. Don't expect civvies to applaud you just because you are going in the local bop.

You'll soon learn the above, that you are better than them, but don't get cocky about it. If you are in Germany, get out and enjoy.

Oh, and don't go out in squady towns. THe civvies hate squaddies more in such areas, because of he daily reminder that all civvies are sh1t. They resent it a bit.

Imagine having a bill board on the highstreet that says "people of XXXX - you are all sh1t and can't hope to achieve much in your sh1t lives". It wouldn't be appreceiated would it?

That is what soldiers are, and unobtainable goal set for civvies.

May I be the first to say Dry your eyes princess.

What do you want, rose petals on the floor and people self-flagellating as you pass by shouting ‘were not worthy at the top of their voices.

Now pop of to the QM’s and get yourself a big cup of ‘man the f*ck up’ :wink:

terroratthepicnic

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Forks, sounds to me like your homesick. Probably missing all your civvy friends and listening about what they got up too at the weekend etc.
Don't worry about it, give it a year and you will see you have nothing in common with them at all. Speak to your troop Cpl, tell him/her how you are feeling, they can help loads, by getting you thredders down the naafi.
Do you have any overseas ex coming up, if so, read up on the country your going to so that you can make the most of it while there.
Somone said in an earlier post about getting some education sorted, OU do a great course called understanding change, worth looking at mate. From there get yourself coursed up on any subjects that take your fancy.

Give it a while mate, you will soon start loving it and civvy street is w4nk, I have been here for 8 years now and I am now looking at joining back up.