• ARRSE have partnered with Armadillo Merino to bring you an ARRSE exclusive, generous discount offer on their full price range.
    To keep you warm with the best of Merino gear, visit www.armadillomerino.co.uk and use the code: NEWARRSE40 at the checkout to get 40% off!
    This superb deal has been generously offered to us by Armadillo Merino and is valid until midnight on the the 28th of February.

Its not quite an Apache, but...

... fifty grand a year flying India 99 doesn't sound like a bad whack to me. Met seeks helo pilots:

Police Staff - Vacancies
Helicopter Pilot
Salary
£50,000 (based on qualifications and experience) + London allowance

Inclusive and diverse, the Met is your police service. We’re proud to serve the millions of people who visit, live and work in London. And we’re equally proud to reflect them in the 45,000 people we employ to make London safe for everybody.

Currently under review, the MPS operates a fleet of AS 355N helicopters providing air support to the police and public of London. Changes in the way air support is provided has led to the requirement for helicopter pilots from mid August 2005.

Flying a helicopter in the Police Air Support role is challenging enough, but when coupled with operations in what is probably the most demanding ATC environment in Europe, it requires the following minimum qualifications and experience:

• Current UK ATPL (H) or JAA CPL (H) Licence, preferably endorsed with the AS 355F/N and instrument rating
• 2,000 hours total time
• 1,500 hours PIC Helicopters
• 500 hours twin turbine helicopter
• 500 hours overland in VMC low level operations
• 100 hours night with 50 hours PIC
• Previous experience in the Police Air Support role is preferable.

Rostered for 12 hour shifts, we also offer a performance bonus, loss of licence insurance, generous leave entitlement and non-contributory pension scheme.

If you believe you have the right qualities to join our team and make a difference, please download an information pack and application form. Alternatively contact our Recruitment Call Centre on 0845 727 2212 (Mon-Fri 8am - 6pm) quoting code 2510 or text PILOT2 to 84118.

Closing date for completed applications 19th July 2005.

The Metropolitan Police Service is an equal opportunities employer.
V!

I was once going to apply for the Air Observers job (he's the cop passenger...ahem...operator) until I saw that you have to be no more than twelve stone. As I tucked into my third bacon sandwich of the morning I supposed that it wasn't the job for me.

V!

Ralf

War Hero
i was once going to apply for the Air Observers job (he's the cop passenger...ahem...operator) Dont you have to do two years Police time first or is it a direct entry job now days

Direct empoyment by the police Authority a sort of civil service jobber. Ah now that was what the jockeys wanted up narf, freedom from the airframe supplier.
Cost one company a sale.
john

Dont you have to do two years Police time first or is it a direct entry job now days?
Yeah, you've got to have done your probation. Competition for it, as you can imagine, is fierce. Lots of walting around in black flightsuits and wearing Ray-Bans. Because of the weight restrictions you find a fair number of females doing it.

When I joined I think all the pilots were on contract from British Caledonian. Which dates me somewhat. I was at Hendon with an ex-AAC Lynx pilot who seemed to me to be barking up the wrong tree, and as a police officer he wasn't allowed to be a pilot in The Job anyway.

I once met a Californian Highway Patrol helo pilot. They have sworn officers as pilots but they pay for there own flight training and then apply for a post. Crazy.

V!

The air ambulance crew in florida are drawn from police force so have shoulder holsters and raybans :) . Though force landing in the wrong part of
florida they might need them .Why couldnt they buy an airship at least it would be quiet .

Most Police Observers have a lot more than 2 years service before they become observers. Some (not sure about the Met) do Cranwell beforehand. All go through some sort of selection process and being ex mil aircrew is no guarantee of selection. A few forces now have civilian observers but I believe these were all existing Police Civilian staff who applied for an observers post in the same way that a police officer would.

£50 K is top money for a UK Police line pilot, and the EC 145 will be your future chariot.

Latest Threads