It's not just us.......

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by PartTimePongo, Feb 25, 2003.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. http://www.military.com/Resources/ResourceFileView?file=Hackworth_021903.htm

The "60 Minutes" story was backed up by a congressional General Accounting Office report blistering the top brass for rushing our troops into harm's way without doing their sworn duty: making sure they were good to go. It seems their precious deployment timetable is more important than their grunts, who might soon be dispatched into a potentially poisonous caldron – to destroy Iraq's chemical and biological weapons – without the right gear.

Although the Pentagon brass were too into escape-and-evade tactics to find the time to do an on-camera interview with Mike Wallace, a senior congressional aide, speaking off the record, said: "While of course I'm not able to disclose anything 'classified,' you should know your story is absolutely on-target. The classified facts regarding our preparedness for chemical or biological warfare are a lot worse than '60 Minutes' reported."

Looks like an ISO container full of surplus NBC suits then.

Just out of interest, I know the published shelf life of the suit-protective-NBC , but if it's sealed etc, then for how long after the shelf life out-of-date, can it still be regarded as up to the job?

2. not long at all........ :'(

3. Unfortunately Line bloke, that would not appear to be the case as a load of stuff wehave to go out there has just been declared fit, notwithstanding 'best-before'.

But as I've said before, Madass says he hasn't got any so we should all be okay!

4. I was wondering about that DM, and how long any equipment shortfall, would have the date stamps moved, et voila , we have the equipment....

I only ask, because I know where there are 25,000 NBC ensembles (Desert) still sealed. Gloves and Inners too, but no S10's...... Now those I could sell all day every day :)

5. Hi DM

Am happy to be told otherwise, as i won't be wearing it or using it.  

I have been given to understand that the shelf life was a max 1-2 years after best before date, after which point the charcoal etc becomes too degraded!! to be fully effective - the suits would still give you about 30 mins in an NBC environment (Which when you think about it aint long at all :()