It's gone wrong already - 20,000 new officers

MrBane

LE
Kit Reviewer
Reviews Editor
Fucksake. People don't learn do they?

Recruitment of 20,000 police to begin 'in weeks'

Screenshot_20190726-082535__01.jpg

When will people understand that a target only serves to create a perverse working practice?

I can guarantee you the bar will be lowered for entrants or those who were previously rejected will be told 'Actually, you still want that job?'.

That's exactly what happened up here with our recruitment targets. People who had been bounced for not being suitable were suddenly Grade A and given a job?

Result? I'll let you figure that out.

I can guarantee you the bar will be lowered for entrants or those who were previously rejected will be told 'Actually, you still want that job?'.
Do you actually need a University Degree to be a copper? By that I mean it may be a requirement but is it necessary?

View attachment 406507

When will people understand that a target only serves to create a perverse working practice?

That's exactly what happened up here with our recruitment targets. People who had been bounced for not being suitable were suddenly Grade A and given a job?

How many times did you have to apply @MrBane?:p

Surely the biggest barrier to increasing the size of the police force is the current working conditions? You can promise to increase numbers recruited, but if you're haemorrhaging officers because of shit overtime, no support from senior officers, last minute cancellations to leave, ineffective and embarrassing targets and you get hung out to dry every time someone gets injured (including yourself) you're not going to have any affect on the real target you need to achieve. of having actual active duty officers on the streets.

View attachment 406507

I suppose it depends on what the perceived unsuitability was. More to the point I think is can the police training establishments cope with the massively increased throughput of trainees?

rifleair

War Hero
Do you actually need a University Degree to be a copper? By that I mean it may be a requirement but is it necessary?
No, you don't. This is just a continuance of the policy of getting everyone to go to university whether they need to or not just so the country can say that "over 50% of our workforce are graduates".
Are they true degrees?, I can't see them taking up to 4 years and using academic tutors to complete the course, therefore if a police force is just using a university as a training school location, while providing all the training staff and scheduling an 18 week course, then it appears to me that it's just a way of getting someone else to pay for some of the training.

View attachment 406507

You should see some of the thick lard arssed lumps a family member has to process at a certain Police College.
Cannot say much more "online" It's been going on for years. The drop out rate is high.

Surely the biggest barrier to increasing the size of the police force is the current working conditions? You can promise to increase numbers recruited, but if you're haemorrhaging officers because of shit overtime, no support from senior officers, last minute cancellations to leave, ineffective and embarrassing targets and you get hung out to dry every time someone gets injured (including yourself) you're not going to have any affect on the real target you need to achieve. of having actual active duty officers on the streets.
I would guess the biggest barrier is training all the new coppers. There is a finite amount of space and instructors at places like Hendon, and police basic takes at least 13 weeks I believe.

You bloody nailed that. On a selfish note, it keeps a member of my family in a good job processing new "victims"!

Latest Threads