It's either a slow news day, or

Discussion in 'The Intelligence Cell' started by Mr_Fingerz, Aug 2, 2011.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Mr_Fingerz

Mr_Fingerz LE Book Reviewer

HMRC are getting their retaliation in for the shite PR that they've been getting in the past few days (HMRC Chairman had to apologise for their appalling levels of "customer service")

BBC News - Customs raids target shops selling counterfeit alcohol (c) Auntie

They were having "pilot projects".

When I did that for a living, such raids happened on at least a weekly basis, with the same sort of results (large volumes of Duty Suspended beer going for animal feed, non-counterfeit spirits being disposed of to the benefit of the treasury, and smuggled/counterfeit fags being burned in incinerators (not in single controlled fires)).

The local cops and trading standards people would be involved too.

And very occasionally the left hand of the Dept would talk to the right and a VAT visit might happen at the same time, and the light side might talk to the dark and a direct tax visit happen.

Sometimes it's good to see the wheel being reinvented.
  2. Liked the light side (Customs) and the dark side (Revenue) mentions Mr Fingerz!!
    Still in use!!
    Joined 1972 -1 year to do!!
  3. Nice to see another prime example of how our new immigrant community are enriching our country !
    snip = Some 16 premises, several of them international stores owned by foreign nationals, had alcohol or cigarette licences revoked or suspended.
  4. HMRC, the 'love child' of the failed and unlamented oaf Brown, is a total shambles.

Poorly paid staff; poorly led staff - sorry delete 'led'; insert 'managed' - a maze of rules and regulations that would defy the combined efforts of Einstein and Turing to understand.

This maze was brought about by the addled, obtuse, dogma driven, socially - financially - and economically illiterate twerp Gordon Brown, to satisfy his gigantic ego.

This stupidity was allowed because the failed oaf Brown's boss Blair was: too absorbed with his own war-mongering and associated stupidities, to observe what the poltroon Brown was doing to the economy of the nation.

Both these travesties ought to be brought to book by the nation and, if we have abandoned hanging, then they should be jailed for life - REAL life.
  5. Mr_Fingerz

A Light Sider for 20 years - Excise man and boy. Got as far as T/Surveyor.

The bastards wore me down in the end. WTF is a "Business Balanced Score Card" when it's at home?
  6. Mr_Fingerz

The staff are paid on the Unified Civil Service standard scale.

The staff are hamstrung in that they are being asked to work in regimes for which they have had little training - I know of Excise Officers who are regime experts in oils warehousing being asked to take on Betting and Gaming cases (it's a bit like asking an infanteer to indulge in a spot of cloud-punching).

They are understaffed (there's about 1500 Excise Officers to cover 40 odd regimes over the whole of the UK), poorly led - managers are more concerned about management reports than facilitating the needs of, and supporting, their staff. God help you if you exercise your initiative to protect the revenue but haven't completed a health and safety assessment.

As for the rest of your post, you're entitled to your views - no matter how ill thought out or informed that they are.
  7. I'm pretty sure the Customs mob no longer exist in the UK, I've travelled from NZ to Wythenshawe International Airport via Heathrow twice in the last couple of years, on both occasions I've checked in at my local airport and my hold baggage has been cleared right through to Manc-land and on arrival at Heathrow I've gone through immigration, however my bag has come off the Air NZ plane and gone straight onto the flight to Manchester where I've picked it up off the carousel with all the domestic bags and walked straight into the arrival hall =|

Next time I'm coming via Rarotonga with enough cheap fags and booze to pay for an upgrade to the pointy end of the plane :nod: