Its easy to misplace £2million

Wonder how this will go down with the horny-handed sons of toil (or whatever) who will be desperately needed in May's local elections?

"Ooh, I'm sorry - I got my millions mixed up! I appear to have loaned £2million on top of my earlier £2million donation and forgotten about it! Don't blame me, I'm only the Science minister!"

It is pleasing to see that, despite his lack of mental faculties, he is clearly capable of interpreting the Ministerial Code of Conduct for us so we don't have to think about it ourselves!

Long live the Guide and the Successor! (not!)

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk_politics/4866544.stm

Minister admits £2m loan mistake

Labour minister Lord Sainsbury has admitted wrongly saying he disclosed a £2m loan to the party to the senior civil servant in his department.
In fact he had disclosed an earlier £2m gift, but not the £2m loan, he said.

The minister said the mix-up had meant he had unintentionally misled the public, but that he had not broken the ministerial code of conduct.

The supermarket millionaire is believed to have donated £6.5m to the party coffers since 2002.

Lord Sainsbury, a minister in the Department of Trade and Industry, said earlier he had notified his permanent secretary of the loan in line with the code.

This just shows the gap between "them" and "us". To have £2M slip down the back of the settee sounds careless or criminal. To spend £6.5M on a "hobby" is equally outlandish. To those of us with concerns about income levels, it sounds dodgy in the extreme. "Why make the donation if you do not expect to get something in return? What are you buying?" To those who have much more than they need, such expenditure is almost a petty cash transaction.
Whilst this may make it non-criminal, it does not make it right and proper.

Latest Threads