It's Cernunnos day

Discussion in 'The NAAFI Bar' started by Spacehopper383, Jan 26, 2011.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Well today it seems is Cernunnos day, a day to celebrate the God of Wild things and the Forest.
    So raise your glasses to this deity and say after me.

Update Lezzers - God Bless them
  2. Nehustan

Nehustan On ROPs

While being a monotheist who professes his belief by via negativa, I have a long standing interest in the green man, be that surrounding Parcival, Herne, Pan, Robin Goodfellow/Puck, or in more recent years Al Khadir...

(edited to add, I only just realised the irony of posting this on an army forum!)
  3. Then pay a visit to Roslin Chapel which, in spite of being Christian, has the largest number of Green Man carvings on a single building in Europe...

4. [​IMG]
    This is he.................... allegedly. Bit of a scruff really, looks nothing like the real one at all. How on earth would he get the pickelhaube to fit.

Too many unanswered questions = must be a Cernunnos walt!
  5. Nehustan

Nehustan On ROPs

I've read a fair bit of what there is on Rosslyn, the Sinclairs, the Templar fleet, Templars in America etc. In fact last time I was in Edinburgh I actually stood under a sign with Rosslyn on it and thought, I should go really.
  6. Or do you mean the Rosslyn Chapel :)

Rosslyn Chapel - Visit the Chapel
  7. Cernunnous is/was a local deity and the only known picture of him from the Celtic era is on The Gundestrup Cauldron

the Romans had a habit of taking their dieties and overlaying them with the local ones for ease of transition which is why he has so many names. The Green Man or Herne are separate entities entirely and it is the fluffy Pagans that have lumped the lot with one deity.
  8. The God of Wild Things and Australia Day sharing the same date? Coincidence? We must be told.
  9. Rosslyn is interesting, however when I went a few years ago it was a small fortune to get in, and the outside was swathed in scaffolding and tin to prevent unpaying eyes seeing it. There were maybe 15 coaches in the car park and a solid crocodile of tourists being sheparded through.. Not a spiritual experience!
    Also.. if you knew the location of a infinitely valuable Templar treasure in the floor of a chapel that you own, wouldnt you be there with a pick, digging it up?
  10. Nehustan

Nehustan On ROPs

I think you might find people were doing it long before the fluffy pagans...

'the squatting Celtic god Cernunnos, who survives in Shakespeare as "Herne the Hunter," and whose attributes were acquired by St. Kentigern...'

Proceedings of the Society of Antiquaries of Scotland, 1928-29, 63, pp.196-213.
  11. msr

msr LE

Is this the NAAFI bar, or have I just stumbled into a scene from the Da Vinci Code?

12. Yes. In my own defence, I was quite remarkably drunk when I posted that...
  13. Something the Catholic Church was'nt particularly shy about doing either; thus Samhain became first All Hallows Eve and later Halloween. And the Germanics/Norse enjoyed the festival of Yule for centuries before it was renamed Christmas.
  14. For fcuk's sake - OpSec! It will take me at least a week to dig out the Holy Grail.