Its been oft discussed and ends up derailing threads so here you go

Discussion in 'Shooting, Hunting and Fishing' started by ugly, Apr 24, 2012.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. ugly

ugly LE Moderator

• Like Like x 1
  2. The basic problem with the Bill of Rights is that it is simply an Act of Parliament (it's not part of the Constitution as in the case of the USA) and so it is easily and simply overturned by other Acts carried by a simple majority in Parliament.

• Like Like x 1
  3. I disagree. There's cases which say the BoR cannot be repealed either implied or otherwise. It's part of our codified or unwritten constitution and holds special status.

The point I'm making refers to: English Bill of Rights 1689
    - which brings me onto why the Firearms Act 1968 (still the primary piece of legislation) states:

Legislation.gov.uk
    - and has been since 1920: Firearms Act 1920
    - which brings in the bit about 'as allowed by law' from the BoR. They can ban certain firearms but they can't stop people having firearms per se.

As an aside, I dislike the BoR on a number of levels as it talks about people being free yet 'we' still had slavery.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Their was a bit on Radio4 about shakespears time where daggers and rapiers were openly carried and the resulting mayhem.
    ( niether were poncy weapons big pigsticking stabby things)
    Rapiers were heavy you could stab or slash with them.
    Access to weapons legally does not make for paradise.

5. ugly

ugly LE Moderator

We arent necessarily talking about open and free access but restoration of rights if we knew what they were and hadnt been taken away by Parliament!

6. Being part of the constitution hasn't made any difference in the USA, they have the patriot act which makes a mockery of the 4th amendment, and can now detain US citizens with a trial, on mere suspicion, indefinatley. The whole basis of the Anglo-Saxon model of personal liberty is based on habeous corpus and this is now effectively gone. Osama must be very pleased with his work and having a jolly time with "old nick". If the yanks could disarm their citizens they would, but they can't without a civil war and this will define the high tide mark of the elite's power.