ITS AN AIR COOLED WEAPON!!!

Why do soldier's cover the air holes on their weapon system with tape? I feel that it stems down to them being lazy and cannot be bothered to clean it. It is my pet hate on tour to see this! The image below is being used in today's Sun paper ......Calm down...rant over.

Attachments

Perhaps he removes it when it kicks off? Like those rubber muzzle caps? It's only going to start cooking after a couple of mag's worth of usage surely? He could still put rounds down, and then take it off after the initial contact. No point in getting the gat mucky unnecessarily with all that dust kicking about.

Never in my day, etc.

If the unit Armourers have anything about them they will take it off and produce a quick equipment care notice highlighting the error of said users ways.

You are better getting a bit of grit in the holes that can easily be cleaned than getting stoppages or worse still cook offs caused by excessive heat.

Dave

Cancel...

Looking at the wrong bit...

(thought he had taped up the ejection port....)

Still stupid to cover any ventilation ports though... :roll:

HE, you are after a Wah I feel...clearly the individual hasn't taped up the opening ejaction port, if you look rear of the tape. On H4, guys had the tape on the handguard holes aswell (including an SAA instructor) It is stuff that crow's do!!

HE117 said:
This is a WAH...

Must be - Taping up the ejection port guarantees a stoppage after the first shot...

...or am I missing someting :?
You are looking in the right place, right? Ejection port behind the mag - where there's no tape.

Beaten to it.

HE117 said:
Cancel...

Looking at the wrong bit...

(thought he had taped up the ejection port....)

Still stupid to cover any ventilation ports though... :roll:
He hasn't taped up the ejection opening, just the holes in the body.

Won't affect the cooling to any meaningful degree , but will prevent ingress of kak. I don't see the problem.

Then why have the vents if it has no 'meaningful' effect? the air blows through the vents, across the barrel. If taped, surely this will increase the heat in that area as there is no means of escape, eventually resulting in a 'cook off'

If it didn't need the holes, it wouldn't have them. Equally, it's unlikely that service use will be as sustained as in the trials that determined that they were necessary.

The jury's out.

I'd rather tape up the air vents than risk the weapon filling with shoite and getting a stoppage because the locking splines can't engage properly. You might have a point to some degree (I wouldn't put up with it in the UK), but on ops, dust can be an issue and if tape solves that then fine.

putteesinmyhands said:
If it didn't need the holes, it wouldn't have them. Equally, it's unlikely that service use will be as sustained as in the trials that determined that they were necessary.

The jury's out.
Lightening cuts? remember that the dam thing was not designed by people who had a clue anyway, and thought it would be a great jolly idea to have a nice clip under the handguards right about the barrel on the cadet GP to hold an oil bottle amongst other idiotic things.

I don't remember any trial reports referencing cooling and the holes concerned.

Air has a pathetically low specific heat capacity, how much heat do you expect to be able to to be transferred out of those holes? With a raging side on Gale, maybe. In still air, to all engineering intents and purposes, it will be 4/5 of bugger all, particularly if we are talking about enough heat to cause a cook off.

stoatman said:
Lightening cuts?
That was my understanding as to the principal reason for the cut outs. Just like the holes in the outrigger beneath the LSW barrel.

Edited once for shocking grammar

blobmeister said:
Why do soldier's cover the air holes on their weapon system with tape? I feel that it stems down to them being lazy and cannot be bothered to clean it. It is my pet hate on tour to see this! The image below is being used in today's Sun paper ......Calm down...rant over.
You are seriously not busy enough.