"It's alright I only need 2 mags"

Discussion in 'Weapons, Equipment & Rations' started by thecoops, Jan 19, 2011.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. You saw it for yourself in the video.When the guy was in the prone, he had to have the rifle at a 45 degree angle just to get a sight picture.
  2. Eggs in one basket. Damage the lips of one of your two mags and you're a bit screwed.
  3. typical yanks. It's always about size!
  4. Mags are too long. It's the same problem with 6.5 and 6.8 30 round mags too. If you could do a quad stack magazine with length of a regular magazine, that's be interesting. I'm guessing 40-45 rounds?
  5. Why not just go back to round drum mag thingy types?
  6. Tricky with a bullpup firearm....
  7. Oh bugger, wasn't looking at the big picture there! Then again they don't really demonstrate that mag on a bullpup, how terrible of me to forget about the SA80. What abouuuttt.... a drum that encased... you know what, think I'll leave the inventing for the inventors!
  8. jim24

jim24 Book Reviewer

They were mostly clock work, and get clogged up no problem,and are a pain in the arse to reload

Attached Files:

9. Aye I did look them up to see how they worked. Couldn't really find the detrimental effects of being clockwork, but then again didn't look very far for info. The thought did come to mind though. What about a triangle?! I hear they are the strongest shapes... ah shit i'm doing it again!
  10. If you could get caseless working, or even case telescoped rounds, you could perhaps the same kind of mag arrangement as on the P90..
  11. jim24

jim24 Book Reviewer

The only one I ever reloaded was for a repro 1921 .45 Thomson gun where the rounds were placed in between the unwound spring in alternating groups of four or five, it was a long time ago, and then the back plate was re-screwed on and the spring wound up. if the rounds were miss-placed it then promptly jammed, and the whole thing had to be done over again,
  12. Shame P90 doesn't use 5.56 and only has an effective range of 200m
  13. News item on the new Magpul magazines for SA80.
    BBC News - UK soldiers get new lighter magazine for guns

The Lewis and Russian RP Machine Guns both used large drum magazines, and were known to be quite reliable, the Lewis didn't use clockwork, but a sort ot pawl mechanism instead.
  14. jim24

jim24 Book Reviewer

That's not really what we are on about but it's a" Pan Mag" I meant the Drum mags on the Thomson and PPSH, both of which can also take a normal spring loaded box mag, the MG 15/38/42 and GPMG both have a drum mag but it's really just a belt box and not a true Drum Mag