It's All in a Name

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by Lance_Comical, May 31, 2003.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I have been informed by my seniors that the word 'Telic' is in fact a Serbo Croat word, the pronunciation being 'telitch'.

Does anyone know what this word actually means?

LC

2. Soldier_Why

Soldier_Why LE Moderator

I think someone's having you on Lance:

Source: The Collins English Dictionary © 2000 HarperCollins Publishers:

telic
    adjective
    1   directed or moving towards some goal; purposeful

2   (of a clause or phrase) expressing purpose
    [ETYMOLOGY: 19th Century: from Greek telikos final, from telos end]

3. I think you're confusing Telic with "Telcik" - One of my guy's surname is Telcik and I guess his ancestry is from the FYR.

4. Thanks for the Information!

Some of the officers are pronouncing it 'telitch' and obviously everyone now thinks (and some believe) that it is a Serb Croat word.

Soldier_Why, your explanation seems to be much more plausable, thanks once again!

Maybe I should have started this thread 'Operational Names and Their Meanings'.  In fact, I'm gonna carry this thread on.

The Operation to retake the Falkland Islands was known as Op Corporate. Why was this name used?

I don't want to let this thread die so answers on a postcard.......

LC

5. Soldier_Why

Soldier_Why LE Moderator

That's because I'm right. ;D ;D ;D

6. msr

msr LE

It does have a meaning on Bosnian, it means 'young male calf'. Of course the 'c' needs a hat, otherwise it would be pronounced 'ts'

My Mrs should know, as she is Bosnian.

Cheers,
    msr

7. Soldier_Why

Soldier_Why LE Moderator

I thought that was "tele"?

8. I'v been told before that our Op names are taken from a pre defined list held at MOD, and are not chosen to have particular meanings, unlike the american way of doing things. Like Operation Granby for instance, thats either a Marquess or a town in Connecticut, unless someone else knows a more meaningful reason for the name?

9. Soldier_Why

Soldier_Why LE Moderator

Op Granby was named after a famous soldier, John Manners. Marquis of Granby, (1721-70).

From what I can gather he is most famous for leading a charge at Warburg in 1760 without his wig on (obviously a major faux pas in the 18th century! ;D) but also well respected for being one of the few officers at that time who cared for his men and he also provided favoured soldiers with funds to purchase taverns on their retirement which would explain why there are more than a few drinking establishments named after him.

Now that's what I call resettlement! ;D

10. Ventress

Ventress LE Moderator

Hence the phrase- 'In like Granby'- Charging in without a thought!

11. Or indeed "going at it bald headed".