It's all getting so much better for HMRC

Discussion in 'The Intelligence Cell' started by Mr_Fingerz, Sep 23, 2010.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Mr_Fingerz

Mr_Fingerz LE Book Reviewer

2. So am I. But UKBA is looking like its going to be a lot worse.

A rumour doing the rounds in Whitehall is that many senior mandarins are already calling for a return of a seperate customs service/frontier police but without immigration. Ie: as we (at the ports and airports) once were. Perhaps they can call it something imaginitive like err...HM Customs?

Where have you gone to now?
  3. A frontier police which doesn't include immigration? Err.........!

Still, the staff have nice uniforms now and that big UKBA sign at the airports. So it's not all bad.
  4. Mr_Fingerz

A SME called Monochrome Advice (shortly to be an LLP).
  5. With sincere respects to 'Mr_Fingerz', 'this shite' as he so elegantly and accurately puts it, is another example of the failed and hopelessly flawed oaf Brown - that monster created the 11,000 pages of Tax Rules and the benighted ass amalgamated the Revenue with the Customs. An exercise of ego massaging as great and as stupid as is imaginable.

What 'mandarin' has the authority to 'write off' of a billion pounds of uncollected revenue? How can any individual have such powers? On what authority can this sum be written off, without Parliament's approval? This sum is owed due to Acts of Parliament and Parliamentary Instruments embodied and implemented by Parliament in the name of the Sovereign. How can this sum be written of without appropriate legislation? If such legislation exists - I withdraw my rant.
  6. Mr_Fingerz

There are a number of Extra Statutory Concessions (ESC's) in place - all agreed to by Parliament. You can find out all about them here HM Revenue & Customs .

With regard to remission cases, each case has to be argued on it's merits, and then a very senior officer (normally a Commissioner) has to agree to the debt being written off.

There are some cases where the legislation actually sets time limits upon when debts can be identified and enforced. It wouldn't at all surprise me if some of these cases were mark-timed so that they fell "out of time" and thus couldn't be enforced. Those cases would be included in the sums being written off.
  7. Many thanks 'Mr_F' - good to know somebody has a clue what is going on. We can be sure the recidivist anchorite formerly resident in No.11 and then No.10 had no idea!
  8. Mr_Fingerz

The "merger" occurred because Groovy Gordy was pissed off with being continually being embarassed by the antics of HMC&E's NIS (London City Bond anyone?). So on the basis that only three other nations in the world separated Direct and Indirect Tax agencies, we as a nation were to follow the world's best practice and merge one organisation that was extremely good at what it did (notwithstanding the out of control NIS) had a great ethos and was a pleasure to work in and be proud of, with another that wasn't.

I'll never forgive Gordy for destroying an organisation that I loved (think of your Regiment/Corps being amalgamated on unequal terms), making people striving to do the best that they could for the people that they came into contact with - do more and more with less and less and thus fail the people that they're trying to help.

He also put people in charge who neither, knew, understood, or cared for the traditions, and values of the organisation.

But like the Murphy's, I'm not bitter.
  10. Mr_Fingerz

Who'se being fair? The IR strangled at birth, what in concept could have been very good. Their box ticking, overtaking, accompanied, non trusting culture has done more to destroy morale than anything I can think of.

When I became an OCX, I was told my job was to "Protect Society, Protect the Revenue, and Enforce the Law". I was trusted to use my judgement, be sensible about using my powers of arrest (CEMA says "An Officer" it doesn't say "An Officer working in LE") - and indeed the rest of my powers, and I was only ever likely to be questioned by my superiors if I'd fucked up. And like the rest of my colleagues, I'd take my lumps if I deserved them.

Today, even think about exercising your initiative, do something without a complete H&S evaluation signed off by the Collector, or indeed imagine a world where you can be trusted to do something appropriate to your pay grade. And watch your career (vb - to run down hill rapidly) stagnate until you have lost the will to live,