Its all about the Falklands

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by kimmi851, Feb 12, 2010.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Just seen this article: Argies Off Again

I know this is an ongoing thing, and the FO usually just appear to file it under "they must have been having a riot again and want to distract their population" but this looks like quite an escalation (especially if the drilling is starting in earnest by March). The big question is should the Booties be on map reading courses? Also to do their bit the RAF scouring their museums for any planes that work and "might come in handy and could do with a jaunt"

"Argentina blocks supply ship to Falklands
    Argentina has escalated its dispute with Britain over oil and gas exploration in the South Atlantic, blocking a ship from leaving with equipment it said would have been used to support drilling around the Falkland Islands."

The article adds at the end:

The latest battles are mostly waged by diplomats - both countries have filed claims with international organisations over rights to the seabed surrounding the islands.

Meanwhile, British companies are moving ahead with exploration.

Desire Petroleum Plc has licensed six areas around the islands where it says 3.5 billion barrels of oil and 9 trillion cubic feet of natural gas can be recovered from relatively shallow deposits. The company is bringing in the Ocean Guardian, a $35 million offshore oil rig, that it expects to begin drilling in earnest by month's end.

2. We'll be fine with the FIDF and a few booties who are stationed there :D

If they are looking the trouble they've definately come at the right time with such a spineless PM

3. Having literally just returned from said islands, I really wouldnt worry that much - they can huff and puff as much as they like, but their ability to take and hold the islands is none existent. Its been a matter of routine for decades that the Argentineans sulk about Falklands issues, but ultimately nothing they do can affect our sovereignty of the islands, and until the locals want to become Argentinean (no chance) then we won't enter in talks on sovereignty.

4. [​IMG]

Hola Johnnie Gaucho

5. Biped

Biped LE Book Reviewer

Sounds nice, but that doesn't take into account a defeatist, anti-British, cretinous, monacled PM who was more concerned about his cabinet position under Blair before GW2 than about the budget for an armed forces about to go to war, which was his responsibility.

This is a country run by a bloke who's managed to break every single thing that's been within his remit, and that includes the country.

The Falklands reserves could keep Britain out of the poor house for many years to come, and that's exactly why he's not to be trusted to keep them in our hands. Roll on the election.

Don't think he can cost us the Falklands? I reckon the Argies would bank on it (see what I did there?).

6. Maybe 'Cyclops' wants a place in history, other than having been the worst Chancellor of the Exchequer and the worst Prime Minister ever - a magnificent double unlikely ever to be equalled.

He could enter history as the man who gave away the Falkland Islands - against the wishes of the population.

He has, single-handedly, wrought more damage on the Armed Forces than Napoleon, the Kaiser Wilhelm II and Hitler combined and I have serious doubts about their current ability to prevent or react to an Argentine invasion.

7. The snail is down there just now, I believe. Let them try and get the pink wine out of her hands.

8. Seeing as the Secretary of State for Defence has been spouting on about the UK not being in the game of mounting unilateral military operations now and in the future that gives the FO a bit of a dillema. Shouldn't we now be talking to all our allies and seeing who would be prepared to help us out in the event of another invasion?

NATO obviously doesn't cover an attack in the South Atlantic. I can't see a Democrat President and war-fatigued US public giving us as much support as President Ronnie did. South American countries have enough problems in their own backyard and indeed some would positively relish a capitalist imperialist nation getting a good kicking. Euro -army - or is that just being rediculous?

9. Saudi, Yemeni and Pakistani terrorists flew 4 aircraft into the ground in the US. The response was invasion and occupation of Afghanistan and Iraq. And a continuing belief by some that this is a NATO problem that needs to be solved by NATO.

So, why can't a suspected tube bomber from Brazil justify a NATO attack on Argentina?

10. Ravers

Ravers LE Reviewer Book Reviewer

Hopefully this won't effect the upcoming Polo season.

11. [​IMG]

Inglesi dogs!

I am going to tell you this only once! Don't make me look utterly ineffectual again or I'll tell you not to do it again! Just remember, we have the hand of god on our side, OK, he's a big tub of lard now, but he can still strut magnificently!

Comandante de la Flota de Mar
    Contraalmirante VGM Eduardo Raúl CASTRO RIVAS

12. Given how stretched we are at the mo how large a force could we send for a repeat of 82

13. Why would we want to send anybody at all?

14. Because its ours.
    That and the oil

15. 4 eurofighters a company of bored inf a sub the fidif with some new toys rapiers
    vs a navy that was'nt much cop last time round and has'nt had any spare parts for its frigates since
    aircraft that were getting on a bit then are postivly geriatric now will be operating at the edge of there range against a tiffy loaded with latest gen missiles :twisted:

The only problem is they may have to replace the cockpit with a bigger one as Biggles ego will have become a HS threat having saved the flaklands ala malta stylee :twisted:
    gordons praying the argies are that stupid fortunatly the argie population don't belive there goverment could or should try any adventure