Its a LongTipperary

Discussion in 'The NAAFI Bar' started by kilo42, Jan 30, 2012.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. It's a Long Way to Tipperary is a British music hall song written by Jack Judge and co-credited to, but not co-written by, Henry James "Harry" Williams.[1][2] It was allegedly written for a 5 shilling bet in Stalybridge on 30 January 1912 and performed the next night at the local music hall. Judge's parents were Irish, and his grandparents came from Tipperary.[3] It became popular among soldiers in the First World War and is remembered as a song of that war. Wiki
    Apparently today is the 100th anniversary of the writing of this song, I think it is the most evocative song ever written that is associated wit the British Army. How many lads marched up to the front lines singing this and never marched back.
    Anyway have a listen if you want.

John McCormack - It's A Long Way To Tipperary - YouTube

• Like Like x 1
  2. No ta, I'm going to stop in and paper cut my bell-end.

• Like Like x 2
  3. TheIronDuke

TheIronDuke LE Book Reviewer

Yeah. The bird told me of this when I woke up today. She listens to radio 4, bless her. One hundred years ago was dark times and you would want a cheery tune on your lips as you marched towards the Hun.

Anybody know when the anniversary of 'Remember you're a Womble' is? That was proper evocative.

4. Here's one for the historians, it tells the story of the writing of Tipperary and makes interesting listening.

• Like Like x 2
  5. It's the Tipperary Pub in Fleet St not the town in Ireland. Goodbye Piccadilly, farewell Leicester Sq. I drank it dry once. I was waiting for Temple Church to open and went in the Tipperary for a cider, had a pint drank it, asked for a half and they couldn't provide it as they had run out. That's my claim to fame

• Like Like x 1
  6. Will you be soaking the wounds in lemon juice or will you be inking it for posterity?

7. Did they give you the drinks for free because you have shiny pixelated internet medals?

8. If you watch Das Boot the crew of U-96 have a good old sing along to this as well.

9. Was that because they just torpedoed the fuck out of a boat called Tipperary? Nice one.

10. Youtube to the rescue again :)

11. No it definitely is not.

Can you prove that?

12. Don't you like that?

13. Fairy_nuff, Westpoint doesn't like this.

Edit; pipped at the post!

14. They were not singing as they marched off the boats at Dover on their return from Dunkirk were they.

15. What's that got to do with you disputing what Fairy Nuff said?