ITN special report on Op Panthers Claw - Afghanistan

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by Lesleycape, Jun 22, 2009.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Currently on ITN, and they're having special reports all week.

Shows the Military in a good light, and has shown the wounded soldiers being taken care of in the Mil Hosp in Bastion.

Op Panther's Claw started on Friday - and looks like it could go on for a while. ITN reporters are embedded with the Black Watch.

2. I watched it, and suspect by the end of the week, ITV may well have subtitles to allow the soft southerners to understand what the hell the jocks are saying to camera :D

3. All i get is the 1.50 minute on the ITV player is it longer and does anyone have a link to if so.

4. where is it on the ITV player i cant find it!!! :D

5. the_boy_syrup

the_boy_syrup LE Book Reviewer

From the BBC

British soldiers have launched a major airborne assault on a Taliban stronghold in southern Afghanistan.

More than 350 troops from the Black Watch were dropped into Babaji, north of Lashkar Gah, Helmand province, just after midnight local time on Friday.

Twelve Chinook helicopters were used in Operation Panther's Claw which involved British and US air forces.

The Ministry of Defence has described it as one of the largest air operations in modern times.

Airborne Assault and no Paras?

6. Getting into a confined space with the Black Watch? Paras may be brave but they are not daft....baaaa :eek:

7. First thought on hearing about this was 'Operation Panther's Claw? Bit of a funny name that'. Then I see in one of the articles it mentions Black Hawk helicopters being used. Hopefully we can keep borrowing more of the Americans stuff to do things like this. :)

8. Have we got twelve working Chinooks in theatre, or did we borrow some?

9. We used to go patrolling around Babaji in 2007 - certainly wasn't a Taliban stronghold then. How things change.....

10. Alsacien

Alsacien LE Moderator

Obviously thinking ahead to the PR and possible future film rights.

Panthers Claw has much more panache and conjures up images of black clad warriors striking at night, rather than Granby for example, which conjures up images of slipper wearing septogenarians in armchairs.....

11. There was a time the Black watch were going to be stationed in Aldershot (60's era) we were looking forward to that. :D

12. I actually saw the full version on the ITN news at 1830hrs last night. Tune in tonight for part 2.... :wink:

13. Bet hollywood exclude the fact that it was our lads and replace them with Delta going eyeball to eyeball with terry while the brits sit in bastion drinking tea and play with themselves

14. There's probably more Jocks in the Paras than in the Black Watch :D

15. Gung,
    your so right, I even had a Scots accent when I left.
    I could even sing Celtic, Celtic that’s the team for me,
    Celtic, Celtic on to victory, and I'm a suvenor. 8O