Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to join our community
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site, connect with other members through your own private inbox and will receive smaller adverts!

ITN News - Lost Childhood

amazing__lobster said:
ViolentBadger said:
halo_jones said:
You all here seem to either want the golden age that never was.

There was a golden age, you obviously weren't part of it.

Is that the golden age with high levels of domestic violence, lack of opportunity for social mobility, females unable to get professional jobs, etc etc?

Ahh Happy days!!!!

amazing__lobster said:
ViolentBadger said:
halo_jones said:

Is that the golden age with high levels of domestic violence, lack of opportunity for social mobility, females unable to get professional jobs, etc etc?

There have never been any 'golden ages'
Human stupidity and unpleasentness precludes their existance.

But..... there was a time post war when the very worst poverty had been eliminated and political correctness, consumerism and the worst of todays social problems had not yet reared their head, when it was generally a good time to be a kid.

There was always domestic violence, sexual abuse, tyrannical parents, brutal teachers, the pressure of the eleven plus for some kids, but generally - across the board, childhood was a better and healthier experience than it is today.

amazing__lobster said:
ViolentBadger said:
halo_jones said:

I had a pretty good childhood as did the friends I had at the time. As a young kid I didn't know or worry about social mobility or what jobs were open to females etc etc. I was a kid and allowed to do kids things.

You make it sound as though I shouldn't have dared to have a happy childhood :roll:

ViolentBadger said:
amazing__lobster said:
ViolentBadger said:
halo_jones said:

I had a pretty good childhood as did the friends I had at the time. As a young kid I didn't know or worry about social mobility or what jobs were open to females etc etc. I was a kid and allowed to do kids things.

You make it sound as though I shouldn't have dared to have a happy childhood :roll:

I wasn't trying to take anything away from you, in the same way you're not trying to take things away from people who had a shit-time growing up, due to the problems that existed then, that don't now.

Though in my personal opinion, the biggest problem today is probably neglect. Kids may have rooms like Aladin's Cave, more gadgets, etc, etc, but that must mean they are spending less time with their parents, who they should be learning from as positive role models. Rather than spending all their time stealing virtual cars in Grand Theft Auto.

amazing__lobster said:
I wasn't trying to take anything away from you, in the same way you're not trying to take things away from people who had a s***-time growing up, due to the problems that existed then, that don't now.

Though in my personal opinion, the biggest problem today is probably neglect. Kids may have rooms like Aladin's Cave, more gadgets, etc, etc, but that must mean they are spending less time with their parents, who they should be learning from as positive role models. Rather than spending all their time stealing virtual cars in Grand Theft Auto.

fair enough 8)

ViolentBadger said:
halo_jones said:

IF YOUR GOING TO QUOTE ME QUOTE IN CONTEXT!

You all here seem to either want the golden age that never was, or you want your kids to be processe educated to standard XYZ!

And to answer your 'give me a few'

halo_jones said:
Rackcatchplunger said:
Going back to my original post:Do primary school children have a need to worry? Was it just hype fuelled by the media?

I was talking to one of my daughters earlier and brought this subject up and it seems that the worry is caused by the education system in primary schools, due to a thing called "SATs" - don't ask me what that stands for as I haven't got a clue- which is a form of exam sat by primary pupils over 3 stages to ascertain their learning levels, apparently it is not for the child's benefit but the teacher's. The grandson seems to worry quite a lot every time these come round.

If this is the case, I find it grossly disturbing that young children can be put under such undue pressure.

Anybody throw any light on this SATs thing?

Surly you talk to the teachers at your daughters school, about her education?
Surly as a parent you take more than passing interest in the goverments education programs
Surly as a taxpayer you understand why sats had been brought in and what there supposed to achieve.

You all here seem to either want the golden age that never was, or you want your kids to be processe educated to standard XYZ!

No wonder the education system is is shreds and kids dont have a chance to grow into well rounded people in some cases.

Do you never sit and talk with your kids! do you spend time with then looking at there schoolwork, involving yourselfs with them!

Halo,

I was talking about my daughter's son, my grandson.
You self Righteous basatard!

halo_jones said:
ViolentBadger said:
halo_jones said:

I don’t believe there was a golden age' or ever has been we are talking about 'lost childhood’s'

MY comments are in the context of asking so perhaps not perhaps some not so comfortable questions to RackCatchPlunger and the visions that the past is always better made by some.

I wasn’t part of any golden age being born in 1961! Society was being lead and directed by a combination of those generations, either caught between the vestiges of though who fought to keep fascism from Europe and those born free of that conflict and coming to there prime in the free easy and rebellious 1960.

Yes I could run around freely but the education system and my schooling was being fought over by the old school of the 3 R’s or the progressives of no structure! My parents either could not be bothered or really were didn’t feel they had a responsibility to ensure this ‘golden age of schooling was benefiting me’

Beside education in the 60’s and 70’s didn’t really effect your future! Did they, if you where state school educated and low achiever! Didn’t take reduce the tool set of aspiration and choice! Long as you didn’t mind factory or shop work.

Yes I could run around freely and as I grew a little older be left safely alone to be on my own and walk to the and swim and explore on my own on the beaches of Barton on Sea! Water safety had been explained to me in the mode of if you’re going to the beach don’t you do anything stupid and of course being a young child I full grasped the reality of danger!

This how ever is something that has no perfect answer how is a child to learn about danger wrapped in cotton wool and insulated other than perhaps involving your self with teaching sharing experiencing with them?

Yes I could run around freely and as I grew a little older be left, as many latch key kids were safe alone at home to watch my younger brother as they dropped off down the road to neighbours, friends or even the pub! Enjoying the spectacle of how booze can change people to the joys of ‘children should BE seen BUT not heard’ ‘spare the rod and spoil the child’

Yes for all of that though for some children it was a time that was free of some of the stresses of today! Of free milk at school, proper balanced food feed to all at lunch time guaranteeing for some that at least one hot meal a day. Proper exercise with school sports and public green space to play in. Dependant on where you lived and how much effort your parents took in your development much as today though governed just how good, there golden days where.

Today though we have the extra problems not associated with my generation, the was the odious marketing to sexualise children before many have reached puberty… I ask the question though who buys girls of 10 crop tops with glittery bunny girl logos or allows there sons to wear there jeans low slung and loose at the waistband in the style of prisoner’s in the American justice system.

Today’s mixed messages constantly played out on TV, the cult of style over substance with being a personality is now judged a career! The return of greed is good, of standards and targets being rushed in then constantly changed before they can be judged. Changes in working practices in society increasing even more greatly loss of connection with your kids due to the work commute, the school commute, the rush and bustle of trying always to make time just to eat together for many families. I could go on but frankly it just wakes me weep that we have it seemed not learnt anything from our pasts and think nothing of our children’s futures?

This is no golden age either. Just remember we reap what we sew…

Rackcatchplunger said:
halo_jones said:
Rackcatchplunger said:
Going back to my original post:Do primary school children have a need to worry? Was it just hype fuelled by the media?

I was talking to one of my daughters earlier and brought this subject up and it seems that the worry is caused by the education system in primary schools, due to a thing called "SATs" - don't ask me what that stands for as I haven't got a clue- which is a form of exam sat by primary pupils over 3 stages to ascertain their learning levels, apparently it is not for the child's benefit but the teacher's. The grandson seems to worry quite a lot every time these come round.

If this is the case, I find it grossly disturbing that young children can be put under such undue pressure.

Surly as a parent you take more than passing interest in the goverments education programs
Surly as a taxpayer you understand why sats had been brought in and what there supposed to achieve.

No wonder the education system is is shreds and kids dont have a chance to grow into well rounded people in some cases.

Do you never sit and talk with your kids! do you spend time with then looking at there schoolwork, involving yourselfs with them!

Halo,

I was talking about my daughter's son, my grandson.
You self Righteous basatard!

My Apologies then i thought you where talking of your kids, as i see my own brother and sisiter in law only ever attend school evenings or help with homework when they can bothered.

Halo,

Apology accepted - thanks.
In my daughter's defence, she takes a lot of interest in her sons education and pays frequent visits to his school.

I appreciate your points of few on this subject, but in generalisation do you think that a child under 12 should have undue stresses put upon them? Do you not think it is disturbing to hear that kids that age are on anti-depressants?
Where has it all gone wrong? Who or what is it down to? I have another 5 grandchildren at school age (all under 7) and it gives me cause for concern.

Rackcatchplunger said:

I find it grossly disturbing too Rackcatchplunger. My son is due to take these tests this year and I'm already bristling for the fight if his school tries to put an ounce of pressure on him!

The SATs are a system of exams throughout a child's schooling. Key Stage 1 = 7 yr olds, Key Stage 2 = 11 yr olds, Key Stage 3 = 14 yr olds, Key Stage 4 = 16 yr olds (GCSE's etc.)

Key Stage 1 (as that's the one you mentioned) is supposedly for the teacher to assess the child in speaking and listening, reading and writing, maths and science. Children are graded in levels and these levels are used to place the school in a league table to show how well it is performing.

The pupils do not benefit in any way from the tests as far as I've been able to determine, (I'm an ex school governor and tried very hard to find justification for these tests and failed miserably!)

Children are placed under pressure these days, not necessarily more pressure but different pressure. "Pushy" parents or those who find it makes for an easier life, have their 7 yr olds attending after school clubs/lessons every day of the week. Children are not allowed to take risks and therefore don't learn how to assess risks. They are not allowed the time to discover who they are. Many that don't reach the required standards are labelled with various acronyms (ADHD for example), whatever happened to accepting that children develop at different rates and they are all different, some academic and some more practical? We are stifling our children's development ....... and one day these children will be running the country!!

halo_jones said:
ViolentBadger said:
halo_jones said:

Do try and answer in English or a form of English that makes some sort of sense.

My son was educated well enough and has a good job that he enjoys, owns his own home, company car and earns in real terms twice what I did at his age. He didn't grow up in the golden age. I'm proud of how he's turned out.

You're very quick to judge other peoples children, how have yours turned out ?

halo_jones said:
... as i see my own brother and sisiter in law only ever attend school evenings or help with homework when they can bothered.

You shouldn't judge everyone by the failings of your family members.

If you have children, how well are they doing ?

Rackcatchplunger said:
Halo,

Apology accepted - thanks.
In my daughter's defence, she takes a lot of interest in her sons education and pays frequent visits to his school.

I appreciate your points of few on this subject, but in generalisation do you think that a child under 12 should have undue stresses put upon them? Do you not think it is disturbing to hear that kids that age are anti-depressants?
Where has it all gone wrong? Who or what is it down to? I have another 5 grandchildren at school age (all under 7) and it gives me cause for concern.

Absolutely I hate that we are allowing the government to have done and continue to use children as some kind of social experiment.

The points i was trying to make and perhaps i made a dogs dinner of that was we the grown up let it happen...

I will generalise below with the royal 'we' in my thoughts!

'We' allow and have done since lord knows how long! The government to run riot with education! Because 'they' work on the basis that 'we' cannot or will not be bothered to march down to the schools, and join PTA's, go to education authority meetings and listen and act etc and it would seem to be in the main they are right I am sad to say.

We allow targets to be set by accountants and consultants and not teaching professionals and 'we' don’t look at what these targets are even supposed to be producing!

And lastly and most disturbingly it is 'our' generations that produce the goods - that produce the ad campaigns - that encourages the lose of innocence, buy encouraging consumerism and sexualises ever younger markets – then turn our heads away from the reality of what it produces.

I despair at how my 3 nieces are being lost both in educational and pastoral needs, there isn’t much however I can do how ever as there not my kids and my sister in-law is a ill educated chav and my brother is well!!

halo_jones said:
Rackcatchplunger said:

Your parents obviously didn't sit down with you.