Builds It'll all end in tears but. . .

what type of primer are you using, is it HALFORDS? if it is, spray it in the shed or somewhere outside, for domestic harmony reasons. Spray your sub assrmblies on a piece of cardboard backed by newspaper to catch the overspray, you could mask mating surfaces with tape to stop the paint getting on them, that way your glue will work., didn't understand the bit about different paint numbers, did you mean airbrush verses paint brush formula.

Helm

MIA
Book Reviewer
what type of primer are you using, is it HALFORDS? if it is, spray it in the shed or somewhere outside, for domestic harmony reasons. Spray your sub assrmblies on a piece of cardboard backed by newspaper to catch the overspray, you could mask mating surfaces with tape to stop the paint getting on them, that way your glue will work., didn't understand the bit about different paint numbers, did you mean airbrush verses paint brush formula.
Yeah Halfords is my go to, Tamiya for reasons best known to themselves use a different paint code for bottles as opposed to the cans ie

Couple of reference shots

1A93C042-8A7E-45AD-918C-69BD3611F270.jpeg

14E578E9-75E9-4BD2-A3AB-51C7E4BA9250.jpeg

DA62342F-BA1C-4A03-A436-431EE7D258C4.jpeg

Last edited:
The bottom one is a Comet ;)

have you tried loading piccies from an iPad? The thumb nail is tiny. I was about to edit the post and delete it but as ever, I was beaten to it!

Amusing Hobby are taking AFV club on - IDF Mk5 cent being released

@cent05zr70

Your experience and knowledge would probably be very welcome here.
Probably not. I wouldn't presume to talk against some of the blokes on here. They're bloody good. As I recall, we never painted Cents, once a year washdown with benz/OMD110 mix for CIV inspections. Chieftains washed down with diesel,(made them slippery).
I did get a tin of "Paint. Green. Tank" once when a couple of us used to take the Target Tank over to Warminster for the Infantry to brass up. Spraying us with 7.62, .303 and concrete charlie G's removed some paint. There's the little pretty, We'd sometimes park round the back of The Crown, at Everleigh on the way home and have a swift half or two. Tell the youngsters today....
rsz_1imgp0490.jpg

Bubbles_Barker

LE
Book Reviewer
Probably not. I wouldn't presume to talk against some of the blokes on here. They're bloody good. As I recall, we never painted Cents, once a year washdown with benz/OMD110 mix for CIV inspections. Chieftains washed down with diesel,(made them slippery).
I did get a tin of "Paint. Green. Tank" once when a couple of us used to take the Target Tank over to Warminster for the Infantry to brass up. Spraying us with 7.62, .303 and concrete charlie G's removed some paint. There's the little pretty, We'd sometimes park round the back of The Crown, at Everleigh on the way home and have a swift half or two. Tell the youngsters today....View attachment 574262
download1.jpg

Sadly the Crown at Everleigh is long closed.....

Boxy

GCM
We had two of them in Sennelager, Athlone Barracks, bods volunteered to drive it, no extra pay or PPE

From memory they were light grey with the optic shrouds painted red, I seem to remember bits painted yellow but not positive

Bubbles_Barker

LE
Book Reviewer
It's all flats now!
T'other boozer we used was the Farriers Arms, ex Plumbers Arms in Pewsey. Frank "Taffy" Harris mine hoste. Topless barmaids, early 70's, out in the sticks.
I hear that's closed too.

When I last made a model, there was small tins of Humbrol paint and that was about it! I see recommends of rattly can primer, then WATER based acrylic paint........ how does that work? As I recall water based paint does not stick too well to plastic surfaces. Is there a secret or is it all magic?

When I last made a model, there was small tins of Humbrol paint and that was about it! I see recommends of rattly can primer, then WATER based acrylic paint........ how does that work? As I recall water based paint does not stick too well to plastic surfaces. Is there a secret or is it all magic?
water based acrylic paint does need a primer for it to stay on a plastic surface, to provide a key, Halfords primer paint is great from a can. It comes in red, grey, and white, choice depending on the colour of the top coat.
tank factory.jpg

Latest Threads