Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to join our community
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site, connect with other members through your own private inbox and will receive smaller adverts!

Builds It'll all end in tears but. . .

Helm

MIA
Book Reviewer
Ok here's the deal, my old man was a tankie 1RTR to be exact, now, I usually avoid models with more than 10 parts, but for various reasons, I've decided to build a Cent, the first question is which one would be the right model for the period as shown below, doesn't have to be the desert as he was also in Germany, basically looking at the years 1945-1951 for the tank.
20210507_155833[1].jpg 20210507_155846[1].jpg 20210507_155854[1].jpg

The second will be who makes the best kit (bearing in mind it'll be a mong building it) and where would be the best place to get said kit. While I'm not opposed to PE I don't want to shell out on a bender etc as I have no intention of building another, so is there any aftermarket kit worth having? I'm not after rivet counting levels of accuracy just a nice looking kit.

Finally any paint colors for either BAOR green or Egypt Desert. I recall Dad did make one I "think" a Tamiya which he painted bronze green.

IMHO it'd be a Mark 3 (having done a bit of research for 4RTR in Egypt about that time). Tamiya and AFV Club do a Mark 3 (AFV Club in Korea, I don't know how close that would be to a BAOR/Egypt one, but I can't imagine there'd be a huge difference), but I don't see any for sale.

BAOR would have Bronze Green and Egypt Light Stone, both of which are available from the likes of Hataka, Vallejo and Mig.

ETA - according to Mike Starmer a 'corrrect' mix for Light Stone would be 7x XF2, 2x XF59, 2x XF3 (all Tamiya acrylics).

ETA2 - AFV CLUB 35303 - 1/35 Centurion Mk-Iii - New 4716965353032 | eBay

IMHO it'd be a Mark 3 (having done a bit of research for 4RTR in Egypt about that time). Tamiya and AFV Club do a Mark 3 (AFV Club in Korea, I don't know how close that would be to a BAOR/Egypt one, but I can't imagine there'd be a huge difference), but I don't see any for sale.

BAOR would have Bronze Green and Egypt Light Stone, both of which are available from the likes of Hataka, Vallejo and Mig.

ETA - according to Mike Starmer a 'corrrect' mix for Light Stone would be 7x XF2, 2x XF59, 2x XF3 (all Tamiya acrylics).

ETA2 - AFV CLUB 35303 - 1/35 Centurion Mk-Iii - New 4716965353032 | eBay
oof taking the piss with P&P but cheers least I got a starter

oof taking the piss with P&P but cheers least I got a starter
I did see another couple, but they're not cheap, and AFV Club are renowned for the high parts count/complexity (of some parts) of their kits. I think I have that kit, or the Tamiya one in my stash ready for my attempt on the full lineage of 4RTR wagons :rolleyes:

The Tamiya kit appears to be non-existant atm.

Why not have a try with one of these:
1620404886409.png

If you want a challenge:

Or this is reasonably priced and 1:35 scale:

Why not have a try with one of these:
View attachment 571465

If you want a challenge:

Or this is reasonably priced and 1:35 scale:
1/72? With my eyes! I'm no @Daz but come on play fair.
The Mark 1 was used in 1945, was so rapidly superseded by the Mark 3 that it's unlikely @Helm 's dad served on them.

The Mark 1 was used in 1945, was so rapidly superseded by the Mark 3 that it's unlikely @Helm 's dad served on them.
He may have he was in NW Europe/Germany approx '44 onwards, depends if 1RTR got them or not, in the earlier snaps there's a lot of Comets. Which also appear in at least one Desert pic, recce?

He may have he was in NW Europe/Germany approx '44 onwards, depends if 1RTR got them or not, in the earlier snaps there's a lot of Comets. Which also appear in at least one Desert pic, recce?
I couldn't tell you if 1RTR used Mark 1s. Likewise for Comets, unlikely to be recce but they could have been equipped as a Regt before converting to Cents (which 4RTR did, being equipped with Comets in Italy after the war). Wasn't 1RTR in Hong Kong with Comets?