Item recognition

Discussion in 'Military History and Militaria' started by blind662, Jun 15, 2008.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Need your help again (please) to find out what this bit of ordinance is
    , I found it in the early 90's when I was part of the RE Boat Section operating from Fort George in Londonderry ,
    Dropped a section off at the Ebrington side of the Foyle and saw this Item sat in the water , I know how F**kin stupid I was/am :oops: but It was shiny :oops: ,I seem to remember reading somewhere that there was a pontoon/quay during the second World War near the spot ?

Cheers once again for any help
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I know they are big ,thought It would make it clearer

2. It's a fuze from an artillery round - looks German

3. Thanks Taff,found it with your link ,great site cheers :D :D :wink:

4. OK then why would a German artillary fuse be in the water in the Foyle ? I know the surrendered German Submarines were taken there ,so would this type of fuse be used on Submarines ?

5. It is a time fuse, they are usually associated with air burst shrapnel rounds. The Solent has several wrecks with UK variants, all 18lb with similar heads on them.

If you dive the wreck of Louis off Bembridge, Isle of Wight, the sea bed is covered in hardened lead balls where the shell cases and det heads have been salvaged. The Basil, off Littlehampton still has a few hundred tons of this stuff on board but at well over 30 metres it is less dived.

With regard to the presence of the round, WW1 involved a lot of use of captured munitions. HMS Sapper off Selsey has thousands of rounds of late 19th century rifle ammunition that I believe was sold originally to Turkey and later recaptured.

6. It is a German Fuze for HE/Shrapnel rounds. Dopp Z mean Doppel Zeitung i.e literally Double Time but in effect meaning Dual Purpose - Time or Point Detonation. The Time set can be set for airburst/ground penetration and Pony Detonation action on impact i.e. normal impact. The holes are to allow the gases developed by the gunpowder trails inside the fuze to get rid of the gases developed by the burning of the gunpowder. The longer the gunpowder trail setting the greater the time setting. The actual setting were included in the Range Tables.

Stop picking up shiny things

Did I really say Pony Detonation? :oops:

I meant of course Point Detonation - a fecking anti-horse round is a bit beyond the pale :D

7. I know I know, it was sat there calling out to me :oops: :oops:

thanks all for your replies so far

Andy

8. You should get it functional and polished up, would make a nice egg timer!

9. R-M...would pony detonating rounds be used against cavalry in the open? The time/delay would of course be for use against donkey wallopers under cover...

10. Ah - I was wondering where you were :D

On a cheerier note the book arrived Cuddles - I am now in the process of geeking myself to death so when we meet on the next Arrse Battlefield tour you won't have any insomnia because "Did you know that ...............?" 8)

To answer your question - Pony rounds would indeed be used against Cav in the open in the Super Quick mode. Firing at Donkey Wallopers under cover is NOT sporting - would you shoot at Pheasants under cover? I know I was Corps but really!

11. Are the pheasants under cover or am I under cover??

12. Thank God for that, i was going to have to PM you to ask what Pony Detonation was. I thought it was some technical term i hadn't heard of.

13. More to the point - are you walloping a donkey (shudders!!!!)? :twisted:

14. Londonderry was (IIRC) used as a depot for surrendered U-Boats following the end of WW2; it may be that held ammo was sea dumped, or in this case Foyle-dumped.

So maybe the pony detonation fuse was for use against seahorses?

(Edited once to add crap joke on ponies)