ITC Catterick FAQs - Answered by a section commander

ITC Screw

Swinger
SME
Afternoon,

I have been liaising directly with @Bad CO and he has authorised this post in the recruitment area. The intention is to answer some FAQs with regards to Infantry training at the Infantry Training Centre (ITC) Catterick. It is known and accepted that many recruits arrive at ITC having used this site to research the CIC prior to joining. The staff and users here do a tremendous job in managing this and this post is indented to compliment that effort. Note ; This post does not reflect or represent the MOD and you should always refer back to your career advisor for specific questions. My experience is as a current section commander at ITC and not a recruiter. Therefore don’t ask me questions specifically around the application process.

Background

ITC Catterick runs four versions of the Combat Infantry Course (CIC): Line Infantry, Foot Guards, PARAs and Gurkha. Your training platoon will depend on what capbadge you are joining. Line infantry training platoons will contain a mix of infantry capbadges. The Guards, PARAs and Gurkhas have their own recruit training companies. Foot Guard and PARA course takes 2 weeks longer than the Line Infantry CIC.

If you are over 17 years and 5 months old then you will complete the CIC at ITC. This is your combined Phase 1 & 2. If you are under 17 years and 5 months old then you will start your training at the Army Foundation College (AFC) in Harrogate - this is a 49 week (at time of writing) course followed by 14 weeks at ITC Catterick.

It is worth mentioning that changes to the recruit syllabus that were piloted in 2021 are now fully implemented into the CIC. Therefore conscious that some of the more informal sources of information online are out of date. While some of the training modules have evolved and new resources are now in play such as the virtual battle simulator the over all general requirements of recruits remains the same high standard. So I’ll post up some ITC FAQs here that may help your preparations. If any thing I haven’t covered crops up ask the question here and I’ll try and get round to it.

FAQs

Why do recruits quit?

The fall out rate is very common for the start of training. Typically a training platoon will lose a few recruits each intake in the early weeks of training (see - DAOR) Common reasons stated are welfare issues, not what they expected, girlfriend/boyfriend putting pressure on them to leave, inadequate fitness , first time away from home etc etc. You can offset these external factors by anticipating them prior to rocking up at ITC. Have an honest discussion with yourself and your loved ones and properly research what you are hoping to achieve.

How fit do I need to be when I arrive?

The fitness requirements on application are a base line fitness standard. In reality you need to be exceeding these standards. Once you are in training, the standards required of you will be higher than those at Assessment Centre. However, bare in mind that you will have a progressive fitness training programme delivered throughout CIC in a structured manner.
A common issue we see is some recruits neglect their phys between passing assessment centre and their start date. It is important that you continue to work on your base level and arrive fit, healthy and injury free. For those that need a guide there is a free app available for both Apple and Android devices. If you search for “100% Army Fit” on either store you will find it on there. There are useful videos on technique and the app will help you track your progress and set targets.

What phys do I need to focus on before arriving?

I am not a qualified PTI nor am I professing to have a magic phys programme. That being said I am currently a section commander at ITC and have have a good grasp on what the phys during training entails. Two main categories to focus on that will help ; Running and Strength training. You need to ensure your running includes steady state endurance runs and also sprints. Ensure you include hills on your route and also hill rep sessions. With regards to building robust strengthening I would suggest focusing
on body weight exercises and perfecting the technique (See Army Fit app for PTI demos on technique). The staples - press ups, sit ups, squats need to feature in your preparations. Common exercises you will encounter during PT include - Palm out pull ups, leg raises, crunches, alt v sits, dips. Remember that gradual build up and training will prepare you for the activity, improve performance, and lower the risk of injury. Be progressive.

What do I need to bring with me?

A kit list for basic training will be included in the joining instructions that you receive once you have passed assessment centre and have been allocated a
start date. There are a small number of "extra" items that are advised and useful. I will readdress this in a separate post when time permits.

Do male and female infantry recruits train together?

There are currently females training at ITC Catterick. Accommodation for females is separate, you will only be accommodated with other females. However there are no female only platoons, like Pirbright, at ITC. Male and Female recruits will train together in the same platoon.

What are the working hours in camp during training.

This depends and changes depending on where you are in the course. In camp your day will typically start at 0600 and lessons end around 1630-1700. You will get to bed around 2200 providing your admin/block jobs are complete and ready for the following day. Note- Getting ready for inspections isn’t just about squaring your own kit and locker away. It will involve you working with the rest of your section to ensure you all reach the same high standard. Trust me- in the early weeks inspections will erode your soul. Roll with it. On exercise expect to work long hours in a tactical manner- see Stag.

How often are you in the field.

A lot. COVID required training staff to place a even greater emphasis in spending time on the back area. This has remained in the new syllabus so expect many lessons to be delivered in the field. We also have more range packages integrated into the course now. In total you will deploy on 3 intro exercises during your first 14 weeks. The exercises are progressive and seek to assess and confirm the skills learnt.
Intro ex 1 - Intro to admin in the field, routine, intro to harbour area.
Intro ex 2 - Fire & manoeuvre/Harbour drills
Intro ex 3 - Pass or fail Test ex. Will include assessments on everything that has been taught to this point. Will also include the admin test during morning routine and casualty evacuation.

During the phase 2 element of the course you will have 4 infantry specific tactical exercises. These increase in both duration and difficulty to ensure you reach the infantry standard.
Tac Ex 1 - Section attacks, platoon attacks and further inf skills
Tac Ex 2 -Patrolling
Tac Ex 3 - Defence
Final Ex - a week long final assessment of all the skills & drills, tactical knowledge and soldiering ability. Very little sleep and lots of offensive actions with live enemy force.
Following final ex you will deploy on a five day LFTT (live fire tactical training) package.

Can I use my phone during training.

You will be required to keep your phone in your civvie locker during the working day. Typically training staff dictate that you can use your phone from 1800-2200. Obviously if you have a welfare issue then you need to bring it to the attention of your platoon commander who will advise accordingly.

What happens if I am ill during training.

Bring this to the attention of your section commander in the first instance. You will then present at sick parade and be assessed by the medics.

What happens if I am injured?

Depending on the severity you may be taken out of mainstream training and placed into a rehab company.

What happens if I am back squadded?

If you are not reaching the standard required you may be back -squadded to an earlier stage in the course. Retraining is specific to individual requirements, decided by your training commanders. You may have to spend 2 weeks in Williams (Rehab ) Company undergoing remedial training.

Can I go home during training?

The first 14 weeks represent the phase 1 element. Therefore you will be confined to camp. However you will be granted a long weekend around week 7. Once you have completed the first 14 weeks you will have a short leave period then the ability to travel home on weekends if there isn’t anything time tabled in.

Should I bring a lot of my own clothes?

No. Storage for your own stuff is very limited and you will not get many opportunities to wear them during the first phase training. All kit is provided and it is the responsibility of all recruits to maintain their issued kit to a high standard - you will receive instruction on this and you are discouraged from buying additional, unnecessary items before speaking to your training staff.

If you have a question that hasn't been covered please post here and I will endeavour to answer. Thanks.

Last edited:
How often are you in the field.

A lot. COVID required training staff to place a even greater emphasis in spending time on the back area. This has remained in the new syllabus so expect many lessons to be delivered in the field. We also have more range packages integrated into the course now. In total you will deploy on 3 intro exercises during your first 14 weeks.

This is good to read. I went through CIC 2010/11 with Scots Div.

imo SAA should have always been done in the 'back area', especially with the fresh air to alleviate tiredness haha.

Can never have enough range time.

ITC Screw

Swinger
SME
Hi guys now iv started asking questions I'm asking loads of them lol,

Does anyone have a breakdown of take home pay with food and accomidation when in training? So basically take home pay?

And do you still pay the same for food and accomidation after training ir is it different? Tia

@Matty0316 Appreciate you asked this in a separate thread but it may be useful if I answer here. Recruit pay is currently showing as £15,985 pa but once you complete training this rises. Full details are available on the Army careers site by searching "pay and benefits"

You must open a current account prior to arrival to ITC. The account must be in your name and can't be a joint or savings account. You will receive instruction on your joining instructions but worth mentioning here that you will be required to produce the details of your bank account ( account number and sort code) to admin staff here at ITC on day one. At the end of your first month your pay will be deposited into your account.

You will have a brief on the first Wednesday regarding financial guidance. It will include a full explanation of the Army salary system and deductions.

Advice ; You should bring enough cash with you to get through the first few weeks of training. Do not exceed £120. Expenses that each recruit can expect are £10.00 for two haircuts and £38 for tracksuit. There is also a cash machine on camp.

@Matty0316 Appreciate you asked this in a separate thread but it may be useful if I answer here. Recruit pay is currently showing as £15,985 pa but once you complete training this rises. Full details are available on the Army careers site by searching "pay and benefits"

You must open a current account prior to arrival to ITC. The account must be in your name and can't be a joint or savings account. You will receive instruction on your joining instructions but worth mentioning here that you will be required to produce the details of your bank account ( account number and sort code) to admin staff here at ITC on day one. At the end of your first month your pay will be deposited into your account.

You will have a brief on the first Wednesday regarding financial guidance. It will include a full explanation of the Army salary system and deductions.

Advice ; You should bring enough cash with you to get through the first few weeks of training. Do not exceed £120. Expenses that each recruit can expect are £10.00 for two haircuts and £38 for tracksuit. There is also a cash machine on camp.
My first haircut was free. As permanent staff, how much down time do you get between platoons?

The_Duke

LE
MOD comment - a reminder that this part of the forum is for recruit Q&A. If you want to chat recruit training establishment staff topics I would be happy to start a new thread in the training wing.

ITC Screw

Swinger
SME
FAQ part two

Following on from the initial post please see below for some more answers based of FAQs that have appeared in the various Catterick threads.

What items are on the kit list

Again it is imperative that you refer to the joining instructions you will receive post assessment centre. They will include a kit list. However I know some people like to square themselves away ahead of time. Although slight changes occur from time to time the 2022 kit list will still include the following ;

A set of smart civilian dress ( collared shirt, trousers, shoes etc). This should be worn on arrival to ITC.
Casual civvies (Smart jeans, T-shirts, clean training shoes etc). Be aware that kit issue will occur on day two and it is unlikely you will have the opportunity to wear these civvies but it helps to be prepared.

Flip flops - Accom and washing facilities are communal

1 X steam iron - Note that due to H&S all electrical equipment at ITC is tested so it is strongly suggested that a new steam iron is purchased. Do not go overboard with this. £25 max. You don't want your £80 super Iron falling off the ironing board. Be sensible.

8 X coat hangers

1 x clothes brush

1 x boot cleaning kit

1 x metal polish (Brasso)

2 x Yellow dusters

Shower gel/soap

Soap dish

Shampoo

Toothbrush

Deodorant

Foot powder

Medication

Face flannel

Nail brush

Razor (not electric + spare blades)

Shaving foam

2 x Large towel.

1 x watch (do not bring an expensive watch! Casio F91W is common and ideal)

Sewing kit

A4 note pad,

small pocket note book

Pens

Many of these toiletries are available to buy on camp but it pays to be prepared. I will do a separate post on usual extras.

What documents do I need to bring

This will all be listed in the JIs. But be prepared to bring 4 passport photos. Passport (if held), Birth certificate, NI card, Driving licence (both parts), Bank account details

Should I train in boots prior to ITC

As before, I am not a PTI but my advice ; For most it is unlikely that you wear heavy leather boots in your civvie life. You will be issued your boots here and there is absolutely no point brining your own pair of broken in boots (as some have done!). There is no need to start doing phys in boots prior which may even cause injury if not careful. The phys here is very well structured and we will not start you running in boots as soon as you tip up. You will obviously be cutting about camp in boots and polishing the leather which will help soften them. The training is progressive and your first 4km tab will be in week 3 (webbing, daysack- 12kg)

What is the smoking policy at ITC

Smoking is permitted but only in designated areas. These will be shown to you on arrival.

Can I bring my own car onto camp

No.

What is the closest train station

Darlington railway station. If you are arriving by train your AFCO will brief you and you will be met there by an NCO. However bus service 27/27X leaves from the station and drops off at ITC Catterick

Can I receive post?

Within reason. You will be briefed about this during week one. Wait until you have had that brief before having anything sent. Postal address will be given to you on arrival. Ensure that any post is addressed correctly. It needs to be ;
Initials and surname
Service number
Platoon
Company
Infantry Training Centre
Scotton Road
Catterick Garrison
North Yorkshire
DL9 3PS

Last edited:

Latest Threads