ITC berets.

JL1778

Crow
Good morning, I’m coming towards my drill test in the next couple of weeks and we are shaping our berets soon but my issued one is a pile of sh!t

do we have to wear the issued ones or can we use ones from the PRI like the ammo and co ones with a smaller crown as my head is like a pin so the one I have been issued is not ideal for my cranium shape. I’ve heard we have to use the issued ones for the beret parade but after that we can wear ones from PRI etc. Obviously want it to look right as it’s a big deal and a lot of pride goes with the headdress.

Cheers.

Try one of these RSM's are noted for their tolerant sense of fun

View attachment 487246
The trendy unshaven look is always a winner.
Good morning, I’m coming towards my drill test in the next couple of weeks and we are shaping our berets soon but my issued one is a pile of sh!t

do we have to wear the issued ones or can we use ones from the PRI like the ammo and co ones with a smaller crown as my head is like a pin so the one I have been issued is not ideal for my cranium shape. I’ve heard we have to use the issued ones for the beret parade but after that we can wear ones from PRI etc. Obviously want it to look right as it’s a big deal and a lot of pride goes with the headdress.

Cheers.
Wear the issued kit. Pull the lining away from the crown where it pulls over your ear, that might help.

These youngsters, back in my day etc...

You need to shape it correctly.

Use boiling hot and cold water.

Place your beret (not your head or you will have other problems to worry about) in the boiling water, squeeze out the excessive boiling water, dump the beret in cold water and shape on head, repeat until beret has shrunk to the correct size & head shape.

Keep beret on head until dry.

Repeat as required.

I've heard we have to use the issued ones for the beret parade ...
I suspect that you have received the DS answer, but hey, it's your parade...

Boxy

GCM
This is something that your section commanders/DS should have taken you through...

Chimp

ADC
Can't go wrong with this:
1593952307402.png

Cheers.
What regt/corp are you?

Dalef65

Old-Salt
This is something that your section commanders/DS should have taken you through...
My reading of it is they probably have taken him through it, but he thinks he knows better.

As a general principle, people in basic just need to do as they are told.......with the issued kit.

Plenty of time to be a smart arse during the rest of your career.. after training

Go full cowpat and park the badge behind your left ear. It's worked for hundred of other squaddies, assuming you're destined for the Parachute Regiment, of course.

Fang_Farrier

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
You need to shape it correctly.

Use boiling hot and cold water.

Place your beret (not your head or you will have other problems to worry about) in the boiling water, squeeze out the excessive boiling water, dump the beret in cold water and shape on head, repeat until beret has shrunk to the correct size & head shape.

Keep beret on head until dry.

Repeat as required.

You forgot the important caveat, do not immerse the head band of the beret, as you don;'t want that part to shrink.

You forgot the important caveat, do not immerse the head band of the beret, as you don;'t want that part to shrink.
Don't spoil the fun!!!!

The QM has to make a profit somewhere.

Might as well be selling new beret to recruits who have cocked up as well as white PT vest when the initial issue goes pink etc etc.

I once had a woolly HD Jersey in training that had shrunk to fit an Action Man. Oh how the Troop Sgt laughed on kit inspection!!!

Don't spoil the fun!!!!

Might as well be selling new beret to recruits who have cocked up as well as white PT vest when the initial issue goes pink etc etc.

I once had a woolly HD Jersey in training that had shrunk to fit an Action Man. Oh how the Troop Sgt laughed on kit inspection!!!
Not just me, then.

Fang_Farrier

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Don't spoil the fun!!!!

During my first posting, in fact within a couple of weeks arriving I had popped woollen HD jersey, issue shirts, socks in Mess washing machine as well as barrack dress trousers.

Before I could retrieve them after wash had finished, an unknown member of the mess staff threw in a bunch of tea towels and cloths, and stuck it on a 90'C boil wash

It was indeed an expensive trip to the QM.

Fecking Mess Sgt denied all responsibility and stated it couldn't possibly have been any of his staff.

Just wear it in the style of some in the Israeli Army ...

Israeli Ecky Thump.JPG

..... certainly catches the eye .

Go full cowpat and park the badge behind your left ear. It's worked for hundred of other squaddies, assuming you're destined for the Parachute Regiment, of course.
There was an episode of the Forces TV programme, Para Platoon, in which one of the training screws spoke with some passion and at some length about the reverence with which their beret is held. Slightly spoilt by the fact that the guy had made a ******* awful mess of his own faded-to-pink effort.