ITBS (Iliotibial band friction syndrome)

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by Sorridstroker, Jun 1, 2006.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I have been running for 8 - 10 months now and have a good basic fittness level, I can run 13 - 15 miles relatively easily.

However two weeks ago half way round the run I experienced fairly bad pain in the side of my right knee, I completed the run as the pain seemed to come and go and wasn't too bad.
    The day after however the pain was much worse and very noticable when going downstairs, so I stopped running and rested up these last two weeks thinking I had simply tweaked a nerve or something.

Went out today for the first time as my knee seemed much better, however after only a mile the pain was back so I stopped and walked home rather depressed.
    I have been reading up on my symptoms on runners world and I suspect it may be ITBS, that said I will be booking an appointment with a sports therapist tomorrow to get a professional diagnosis.

I was just curious to know if anybody has/is suffering from this ailment and what works well to relieve symptoms, I appretiate I have at least a month of stretching and R.I.C.E ahead of me - and that really is depressing me at the moment as I was doing so well to achieve my own personall fittness goals.

Will this stop me from cross training as in swimming or cycling?

2. If you could continue running then in all probability it was not ITBS

Give me 10 minutes to dig a link up

Here you go

The coming down the stairs problem reminds me of an injury but I can't remember which one, Runners World is the best place to go for advice, I post on there also.

ITBS is usually caused by incorrect running shoes, you know about over/under pronation and different gaits right ?

ITBS is also caused by running on the same side of the road , there is a stretch you can do to relieve it but believe me, you know when you have it - imagine a rubber band stretched across a thin object like a ruler, well thats what your ITB is doing

Hope this helps, sorry its not more but its 23:45 :p
  3. I second what Polar69 says.

It has a lot to do with over pronation & the mechanics associated with that. Which then can lead to all sorts of trouble.

Also running Surface, increase in intensity of training & increase in mileage can all be associating factors.

If you go to a sports therapist/massage qualified person... ask them to 'strip your ITB's' now this f**king hurts i wont lie to you! but it might be worth ago!

keep stretching, keep RICE-ing. & try some massage. Swimming & cycling should not be a problem. so carry on with that whilst you try & sort out the problem.

good luck
  4. Sounds very similiar to an injury i got on the inside of my left knee while out running. I went to see about it and had to see 3 different doctors, as the first one said it was twisted, second one said it was ligaments, third one said it was my cartilage, that was about two years ago and i'm still none the wiser although it has cleared up. The pain lasted about 3-4 months and i had to give it complete rest, so now when i run i do it on a treadmill and only run on roads when i really have to. The knee seems fine now" touch wood" and i run 3 times a week with no bother, but all i can say is give it complete rest or you may balls it up for life as that happened to a friend of mine and make sure you wear good supportive trainers and if you have to, try running on grass, although with the distance your doing that would be hard. Hope that's of some use to you.
  5. Sounds like ITBS - I'm no expert but I've had something very similar before. It does take a very long time to go away. Two things that are good are a Pattstrap (search on Google) and a simple foam roller that you roll the outside of your thigh on on the floor to stretch the band. But at the end of it the only thing for it was to give up running for a few months, and when I went back to it changed my shoes, stopped running on hard surfaces and made a few alterations to my running posture. Do tell what your sports therapist says, because I might be completely wrong about the technicalities of it.
  6. #

The roller thing is basically a do it yourself 'ITB stripping contraption' u can also use a tennis ball if you enjoy inflicting pain on yourself!

I would strongly considor see in a sports physio/therapist for a good stripping session... also running gait analysis would be good to see whats going on mechanically?!
  7. Thanks for the replies.

Went to see a physiotheripist today and she comfirmed it is ITBS, she has given me a few different stretches to do three times a day to stretch out the ITB.

She seemed confident that with effective stretching I could possibly introduce some short distance running in a few weeks (I was expecting months) so I was pleased to hear this, she even said it may be ok to do a hike up Ben Nevis later this month (I had planned to do this on holiday)

Just have to keep reminding myself I am injured I can't go out for a run - something that I am itching to do.

Ill let you know how effective the stretching is in a few weeks.
  8. If she's given you stretches to do she obviously thinks the problem is shortening of the ITB, which is atributed to over use.... the pain being caused by inflamation & friction. Have the will power to stick to the stretches everyday, they do work.

You may already plan too but i would suggest (as uncool as it sounds) if you intend to bimble up Ben Nevis make sure you take a good set of walking poles to aid your decent. IBFS is more noticable when running or walking downhill especially when all your weight is on that leg, using poles can spare the joints of an average walker upto 6 tonnes of force over a mile.

Good luck on the summit bagging.