Italy will pull out from Afghanistan starting 2011

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by fantassin, Feb 18, 2010.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Have they run out of money to pay the Taliban off with? 8O (Did I say that? Bad me, bad!!)

I predict that productivity at HQ ISAF will increase in direct correlation to any reduction in Italian staff officers working/drinking espresso/posing in the gym/styling their goatees/buying sunglasses and perving up females, and their replacement by somebody who gets on with their job..... :)

2. Interesting, although it seems to be in line with what was agreed at the London Conference in Jan:
    "To develop a plan for phased transition to Afghan security lead, province by province, to begin, provided conditions are met, by late 2010/early 2011"
    In the same soundbyte he also says that he won't rule out the use of Italian troops, if requested, in ops such as Marjah: This would constitutionally be a bit of a step for them.
    I seem to remember Obama saying something similar when he announced the troop uplift.

3. My Bold, in realistic terms I suspect this is a tall order :?

Expect to see Taliban spokesman stating they'd driven the Italians out, cynical :roll:
    It'll be interesting to see what other start to follow suit?