Italy Offers To Lead UN Force In Lebanon

I think for every step they take forward they will run 10 back.

They should not be allowed, because they crucified Jesus Christ!

SK :evil:

londonirish said:
in fact, I wonder if the Jews will want to take revenge for the massacre at Massada :)
Let's hope the Italians can climb better than they did at Massada.

GDav said:
londonirish said:
in fact, I wonder if the Jews will want to take revenge for the massacre at Massada :)
Let's hope the Italians can climb better than they did at Massada.
interesting point, some say the Eyties topped the Zealots, others say the Zealots topped themselves, in which case, silly Zealots, I say

The legend is that after killing the women and children, ten men drew lots to slay the rest. Of these ten one man was picked to kill 9, then he fell on his own sword.

GDav said:
The legend is that after killing the women and children, then men drew lots to slay the rest. Of these ten one man was picked to kill 9, then he fell on his own sword.
a bit like the last day's in the Fuherbunker

Almost two thousand years after the fall of Masada, an extensive archaeological dig took place. The expedition was headed by Professor Yigael Yadin, who was involved with the Hebrew University of Jerusalem, the Israel Exploration Society, and the Israel Department of Antiquities and Museums (otherwise known as the Israel Antiquities Authority). 21 Yadin identified several key discrepancies between discovered remains and the story of Josephus:

1) According to Josephus, the suicides all occurred in the palace. However, Herod's main palace is not large enough to hold the nearly one thousand people who lived and died at the Masada fortress. 22
2) Twenty-five skeletons were found isolated in a cave in the south. Josephus says these must have been put there by the Romans; but why would they hide only twenty-five when they could easily have thrown all 960 corpses over the steep cliff? Critics believe these twenty-five Jews hid from the Romans (avoiding the common suicide plot) and were found and killed, or perhaps committed suicide as they were found. 23

3) It is highly unlikely that the Romans would retreat and wait until morning to enter Masada when they had finally broken through the walls after laying seige for 2-3 years. Josephus implies that the Romans noticed nothing unusual (such as burning buildings or the eerie silence of a thousand rebels) and expected a battle the next morning. Almost all historians agree that, while Josephus's account of the breaking of Masada's walls is probably accurate, at this point his story loses credibility. 24

Thus, some believe that the mass suicide so symbolic in Judaism was in fact a Roman massacre. However, the tenets of the Sicarii at Masada and the site itself are still held in high regard. 25 Whether or not the details written about events at Masada are true or fictitious, Masada will always remain an important symbol of how Jews have historically reacted when dealing with persecution. The Jewish War 's tale of Masada is almost certainly true but exaggerated. The extent to which the truth is stretched is the main issue of controversy today.

You're all missing the point: this is fantastic news: it finally proves that the French are incompetent muppets who are so feckin useless that even the Italians are a preferable alternative when it comes to putting your troops where your garlic drooling, lying, scumbag french mouth is...

"Ohh, Zut alors, you americains are all so merde - we can broker a cease fire, mon ami du neocolonialsimme - Ohh mega merde, now we have to provide zee troops to do what we said we would... Gulp, we run away now, yeees??"

Useless gallic fantasists want to be taken as serious power brokers, but an army of half a million whose only commitment is sunbathing in the south pacific can only find '200' troops... I hope they all die of the mad cow disease they are desperately hiding from the rest of europe in illegal mass bovine graves. Hypocritical turdules, the lot of them.

londonirish said:
GDav said:
The legend is that after killing the women and children, then men drew lots to slay the rest. Of these ten one man was picked to kill 9, then he fell on his own sword.
a bit like the last day's in the Fuherbunker

Almost two thousand years after the fall of Masada, an extensive archaeological dig took place. The expedition was headed by Professor Yigael Yadin, who was involved with the Hebrew University of Jerusalem, the Israel Exploration Society, and the Israel Department of Antiquities and Museums (otherwise known as the Israel Antiquities Authority). 21 Yadin identified several key discrepancies between discovered remains and the story of Josephus:

1) According to Josephus, the suicides all occurred in the palace. However, Herod's main palace is not large enough to hold the nearly one thousand people who lived and died at the Masada fortress. 22
2) Twenty-five skeletons were found isolated in a cave in the south. Josephus says these must have been put there by the Romans; but why would they hide only twenty-five when they could easily have thrown all 960 corpses over the steep cliff? Critics believe these twenty-five Jews hid from the Romans (avoiding the common suicide plot) and were found and killed, or perhaps committed suicide as they were found. 23

3) It is highly unlikely that the Romans would retreat and wait until morning to enter Masada when they had finally broken through the walls after laying seige for 2-3 years. Josephus implies that the Romans noticed nothing unusual (such as burning buildings or the eerie silence of a thousand rebels) and expected a battle the next morning. Almost all historians agree that, while Josephus's account of the breaking of Masada's walls is probably accurate, at this point his story loses credibility. 24

Thus, some believe that the mass suicide so symbolic in Judaism was in fact a Roman massacre. However, the tenets of the Sicarii at Masada and the site itself are still held in high regard. 25 Whether or not the details written about events at Masada are true or fictitious, Masada will always remain an important symbol of how Jews have historically reacted when dealing with persecution. The Jewish War 's tale of Masada is almost certainly true but exaggerated. The extent to which the truth is stretched is the main issue of controversy today.
I don't think you can compare the Furherbunker - that lot scampered away like rats fleeing a sinking ship.

The IDF Motto (or one of them) is: "Massada will never fall again".

Legends are only good when you believe them

Nibbler said:
You're all missing the point: this is fantastic news: it finally proves that the French are incompetent muppets who are so feckin useless that even the Italians are a preferable alternative when it comes to putting your troops where your garlic drooling, lying, scumbag french mouth is...

Hypocritical turdules, the lot of them.
you should get off the fence and say what you mean mate :safe:

Nibbler said:

"Ohh, Zut alors, you americains are all so merde - we can broker a cease fire, mon ami du neocolonialsimme - Ohh mega merde, now we have to provide zee troops to do what we said we would... Gulp, we run away now, yeees??"

Useless gallic fantasists want to be taken as serious power brokers, but an army of half a million whose only commitment is sunbathing in the south pacific can only find '200' troops... I hope they all die of the mad cow disease they are desperately hiding from the rest of europe in illegal mass bovine graves. Hypocritical turdules, the lot of them.
You're not a closet Francophile then?

I don't think you can compare the Furherbunker - that lot scampered away like rats fleeing a sinking ship.
oh, I don't know, quite a few of them topped themselves and eachother, not to mention the lovely Mrs Goebbles and what she did to her poor kids

londonirish said:
oh, I don't know, quite a few of them topped themselves and eachother, not to mention the lovely Mrs Goebbles and what she did to her poor kids
There was a helluva lot more who had it away on their toes. Including Goering and Himmler.

GDav said:
londonirish said:
There was a helluva lot more who had it away on their toes. Including Goering and Himmler.
both of whom topped themselves, but you are right, a lot provided excellent entertainment at later trials. Hope they all rot in hell

All though to be fair they were Nazi kids.

The Frogs still have a commitment to Africa and in Bosnia I beleive.