Italian PM resigns

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by KGB_resident, Feb 22, 2007.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. One could ask - who cares? But...

So unlikely Italian soldiers would be on the fron-line in Afghanistan soon. So who will die in Afghan desert? Tommy again?
  2. Clowns...

They will stay in Afghanistan

As for we don't want that .......yeah sure
  3. "Italian PM resigns"? This is news?

How many is that since 1945? The 50th? The 100th?

I doubt many Italians actually care.

I know I don't.

If the Coalition is depending on Italian troops to shore-up its position in Afghanistan then it's in even worse circumstances than I thought.
  4. Hardly important in a military sense, but coming on Britain's announcement of troop withdrawals the reasons behind could cause some problems for a surge-fixated presidency stateside. It's beginning to look like we've got a Coalition of the Not-Quite-So-Willing-As-They-Used-To-Be.

Prodi will probably get back in with a reduced majority for his coalition government. The interesting question (ok, talking relative terms here) is whether he'll ditch the Communists in favour of some other minority partners. We could see a radical shift in policy emphasis if he takes up with one of the religious groups or even a conservative faction.
  5. I think Vincenza will be a large NATO base, nothing directly to do with GBR!
  6. Figure I remember being mentioned a bit earlier was sixty/sixty-one or so governments since 1945, so that works out at a general average of one a year. But then you have to factor in administrations like Silvio Berlusconi's most resecent one that almost lasted for a whole five years, something of a post war record I believe, and other 'long term' governments so that really starts giving you some idea of things.
  7. On a par with 'strike paralyzes Rome'

I was surprised Prodi lasted this long.
  8. And yet Italy is still one of the most beautiful countries in the world, with fantastic food, weather, women and wine. Maybe we should sack our government every six months, and see how things improve.
  9. Ironically, I find that I have to agree. Who needs stability when one can live la bella vita?
  10. Italy is the world's most perfect democracy - sooner or later EVERYONE gets a turn at being prime-minister!

Vicenza is the base for the US 173rd Airborne Bde, which is getting an extra battallion + support troops. So, no cuts in parachute training for the Yanks.