Italian cruise ship fires on pirates

Discussion in 'The Intelligence Cell' started by dangerousdave, Apr 26, 2009.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I didnt think non military people were allowed to have weapons at sea?? :?

"An Italian cruise ship with 1,500 people on board fended off a pirate attack far off the coast of Somalia when its Israeli private security forces exchanged fire with the bandits and drove them away, the commander said Sunday.

Cmdr. Ciro Pinto told Italian state radio that six men in a small white boat approached the Msc Melody and opened fire with automatic weapons Saturday night, but retreated after the Israeli security officers aboard the cruise ship returned fire.

Pinto said pistols were handed out to security staff and they opened fire on the pirates when they tried to clamber up the sides of the ship. "

http://www.haaretz.com/hasen/spages/1081183.html

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2009/04/26/AR2009042600339.html

2. Dave, the Italians have a very sensible approach to such 'rules'.

3. More power to them. Hopefully this might start more sensible reactions on other ships to pirate attacks.

4. That mean the pirates will wake up with a horses head in their bed in the morning then? :lol:

5. Times are changing. Everyone should have the right to defend themselves.

I hope the private security forces gave the pirates 'a damned good thrashing'. 8) Maybe it'll make these pirates think twice in future.

6. Better than clay pigeon shooting from the blunt end of the ship. Maybe we could organise some pirate hunts whyere they get stalked and then killed.

7. There are no such rules. International Maritime Organisation frowns upon it. Different nations have different rules when you enter their ports.

For UK registered vessels there is no requirement to even hold a firearms certificate for Section 1 and Section 2 firearms so you can have bolt action rifles, pump action or self loading shotguns, lever action rifles (which are quite fast to operate) 50 cal rifles or even single shot artillery pieces as long as they are only firing solids or canister.

I'd have all of the above.

8. chrisg46

chrisg46 LE Book Reviewer

BBC story says they fired "in the air". Shall we assume the italians tried to shoot the pirates... and missed?

Well done all the same, hopefully more will follow the example.

9. Not being a Legal Eagle or sailor or suchlike, how can you be stopped having weapons when you are in international waters? The only problem would surely be when you dock in a country with strict weapons laws.

10. well, thats my point. all ships have to dock at some point and hence i hear weapons are banned on ships due to different laws around various countries you donut :p lol :D

11. the_boy_syrup

the_boy_syrup LE Book Reviewer

Why dosen't someone run a couple of Q ships
    Nice looking ship pottering about
    Pirates approach, sides fall down and a gang of marines and Navy shoot the sh1t out of everything and everyone
    Once it's happened a few times they might get the message

12. I'd rather upset some customs bloke than get kidnapped and have my ship taken from me. It can't be that hard to have a concealed, secure weapons storage that the captain can access. If nations don't like ships to have defensive weapons then they should be patrolling the dodgy areas and defending innocent ships from Pirates.

Naive probably, but sometimes the simple option is the best.

13. I'll run a Q ship. Anyone got any funds?

14. Shame on you! I mean those poor pirates whose supporters in ZANU Labour will no doubt defend their human rights to rob, rape, pillage and murder at will (at public expense of course). :roll:

No doubt, said pirates will be allowed to live in Britain, given a house, car and as much money as they can waste... whereas the brave and loyal Gurkhas are told to p*ss off. :x

15. the_boy_syrup

the_boy_syrup LE Book Reviewer

They can only get all that if they get onboard the ship (i.e. British "soil")
    I propose a couple of .50 Cal's making them into lumps of mince before they get near it

They could even throw some blood into the sea to encourage sharks before the attack
    Don't want the wounded swimming for it now do we :wink: