Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Italian Ambassador killed in DRC

RIP to all the Italians involved, now let’s see how many years it takes the UN to respond. You can guarantee there’ll be at least a dozen meetings to decide on a meeting.!
UN are straight on to it, as soon as they have stopped Princess Latifa grounding

Reports on twitter are that the Italian ambassador to the Congo, Luca Attanasio, has been killed in eastern DRC.
Italian media are reporting that it was an attempted kidnapping. A member of the carabinieri travelling with him has also died.
If confirmed, I'm intrested to see how Italy respond.

R1ed4b9d2d719571364a79e69147f45ff.gif

Send in the Italian Special Forces - Who Cares Who Wins.

Steady on, thats a bit short notice, they have to get Tour Cravats made first.

Send Conrad Thorpe back with a more far reaching brief.

Funnelweb

Swinger
Steady on, thats a bit short notice, they have to get Tour Cravats made first.

Send Conrad Thorpe back with a more far reaching brief.

Damien Mander is nearby to. Busy training anti poaching teams and the all female Akashinga warriors. Believe he has gone native now and lives in Zimbabwe permanently. Ex Aussie clearance Diver and SF I think.

Damien Mander.

A vegan. That will go down well in Rhodesia.

Tender, juicy and grain fed. What's not to like?

My UN boss was killed in an ambush and subsequent execution in the late '90s in Burundi, along with the head of delegation for UNICEF and a couple of others.

The CP bloke looking after one of the other high ups had a concealed weapon, drew it and killed the executioner when they got to his principal, grabbed her and the rest of the survivors and legged it to a sugar mill nearby.

Got the HF call a couple of hours after dropping them at the strip and had to fly back with security detail and body bags to recover wounded, survivors and victims. Bit awkward looking for someone to hand off the items and paperwork she'd left with me when she disembarked, as she didn't want to schlepp them around with her on the mission.

Bubbles_Barker

LE
Book Reviewer
Tender, juicy and grain fed. What's not to like?

My UN boss was killed in an ambush and subsequent execution in the late '90s in Burundi, along with the head of delegation for UNICEF and a couple of others.

The CP bloke looking after one of the other high ups had a concealed weapon, drew it and killed the executioner when they got to his principal, grabbed her and the rest of the survivors and legged it to a sugar mill nearby.

Got the HF call a couple of hours after dropping them at the strip and had to fly back with security detail and body bags to recover wounded, survivors and victims. Bit awkward looking for someone to hand off the items and paperwork she'd left with me when she disembarked, as she didn't want to schlepp them around with her on the mission.
Grim - the UN didn't bother to mention the CP guy in the reports I read. Politics I guess.

Grim - the UN didn't bother to mention the CP guy in the reports I read. Politics I guess.

Security I should think. Don't want to go around naming your covert CP blokes.

Bloke in the pic on BBC news helping unload the coffins in Nairobi was my FO who later went on to fly for SAA. Same one who almost landed on a croc on the runway...

...On two occasions. I think they were stalking him.

Mufulira42

Old-Salt
Security I should think. Don't want to go around naming your covert CP blokes.

Bloke in the pic on BBC news helping unload the coffins in Nairobi was my FO who later went on to fly for SAA. Same one who almost landed on a croc on the runway...

...On two occasions. I think they were stalking him.
IIRC along with the ill-starred Irish contingent ( Niemba) the Italian air forces ground crew were badly done by the revolting rebels in early 60's and caused much consternation in UN HQ. Too much politics & not enough realism in sorting out the Congo then.

IIRC along with the ill-starred Irish contingent ( Niemba) the Italian air forces ground crew were badly done by the revolting rebels in early 60's and caused much consternation in UN HQ. Too much politics & not enough realism in sorting out the Congo then.

Soft and sensitive mzungus thinking they know how to address African problems. Unless you're on the ground dealing with things and making the difficult calls first hand, the ivory tower approach issuing edicts from your safe place in Europe or the US doesn't work and tends to draw out the issue. Suppose it keeps the diplomatic worthies snuggled up to the gravy trough, so that's OK then.

Latest Threads