Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Italian Ambassador killed in DRC

Reports on twitter are that the Italian ambassador to the Congo, Luca Attanasio, has been killed in eastern DRC.
Italian media are reporting that it was an attempted kidnapping. A member of the carabinieri travelling with him has also died.
If confirmed, I'm intrested to see how Italy respond.

Reuters saying he was wounded and evacuated:
Two people were killed and the Italian ambassador to Democratic Republic of Congo was wounded on Monday in an attack on a United Nations convoy in the east of the country, local park authorities said.

The convoy was attacked near the town of Kanyamahoro at around 10:15 a.m. (0815 GMT) and was part of a kidnap attempt, the Virunga National Park told Reuters.

The identity of the two people who were killed was not immediately clear. The Italian ambassador was evacuated after park rangers intervened, the park said.

Many armed groups operate in and around Virunga, which lies along Congo’s borders with Rwanda and Uganda, and they have repeatedly attacked Virunga rangers.

E2A: Telegraph and others reporting he was one of the two killed:

Reports on twitter are that the Italian ambassador to the Congo, Luca Attanasio, has been killed in eastern DRC.
Italian media are reporting that it was an attempted kidnapping. A member of the carabinieri travelling with him has also died.
If confirmed, I'm intrested to see how Italy respond.

Not good, RIP to his guards.

If a UN mission, the reaction will be words.

I’m sure that yet again the populace of the DRC would like to thank Russia, and the late Mr Kalashnikov in particular, for their contribution to the Congo’s current state.

White flags flying over all government buildings in Rome as a precautionary measure.

Stibbon

Old-Salt
Play 3rd World Shithole games ... win 3rd World Shithole prizes ...

RIP to all the Italians involved, now let’s see how many years it takes the UN to respond. You can guarantee there’ll be at least a dozen meetings to decide on a meeting.!

Send in the Italian Special Forces - Who Cares Who Wins.
1614014154160.png