Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Builds Italeri Triumph 3WH 1/9th scale.

All these build threads have made me go up the loft and have a look at my stash.

I found the bike which I started about 10 years ago, as in gluing about half a dozen bits together before it got hoofed.

Anyway' it is out now and going at a pace to the pint I am now ready to start to apply paint, my question is, what is the correct shade of "Dark Green" for a 1944 year.

Also found a Tamiya Churchill IV and a Crocodile in 1/35th.

Plan is to warm up on the Triumph and the IV and then eventually move onto the Crocodile for which I have a Eduard PE kit.

Most British-built kit in NWE in '44 was painted SCC 15.

Model paint-wise:

S.C.C.15 OLIVE DRAB.

Mix: 5 x Humbrol 150 + 5 x Humbrol 159 + 2 x Humbrol 33

Alternative; 9 x Humbrol 253 + 1 x Humbrol 80

12 x Humbrol 159 + 1 x Humbrol 33 + 1 x Revell 84.

Tamiya: 5 x XF81 + 1 x XF58 + 1 x XF71.

In use: May 1944-45 as standard basic overall colour.

All these build threads have made me go up the loft and have a look at my stash.

I found the bike which I started about 10 years ago, as in gluing about half a dozen bits together before it got hoofed.

Anyway' it is out now and going at a pace to the pint I am now ready to start to apply paint, my question is, what is the correct shade of "Dark Green" for a 1944 year.

Also found a Tamiya Churchill IV and a Crocodile in 1/35th.

Plan is to warm up on the Triumph and the IV and then eventually move onto the Crocodile for which I have a Eduard PE kit.
I’ve got the WLA Harley Davidson by Italeri in 1/9th some where to finish, it’s been in the finishing longer than a certain Wokka.....

daz

LE
I understand Tony Robinson wants to do a history program on the Wokka.
Digging through the layers of dust.......... finally, we came across the Tomb of the unknown wokka :)

@Egg on Leggs - I'm yer man!

I had the Esci red civi version from the 80's - was actually going to junk my whole stash but took a nostalgic look and realised only the spoke wheels let it down so, seeing a YouTube on spoking thought I'd give it a go - being a Triumph fan generally.
- I got sucked in and, having put detail on from wire, plasticard, research and familiarity got a WD Italeri one cheap from eBay to do that - seeing as the civi one shouldn't have a cut out for a tank mounted Vokes filter.

HMVF has a good thread I'll try link to - meanwhile, here are some photos I took of an example I saw at Huddersfield years ago which I hope to emulate. IMG_20200324_175417.jpgIMG_20200324_175447.jpgIMG_20200324_175510.jpg

Being a bikeist, you'll notice the instructions are wrong...
IMG_20200714_103702.png

IMG_20200324_175532.jpg

@Egg on Leggs

Triumph 3HW • 1942 •

ETA As @CrashTestDummy states
SCC15 British Olive Drab is correct for NWE from Apr 1944, the HMVF site has some details re production details (knee pads) and Census nos.

Last edited:
@Egg on Leggs

Triumph 3HW • 1942 •

ETA As @CrashTestDummy states
SCC15 British Olive Drab is correct for NWE from Apr 1944, the HMVF site has some details re production details (knee pads) and Census nos.
Alternatively, paint in Olive Drab, but then over paint in desert colours of 8th Army!

Alternatively, paint in Olive Drab, but then over paint in desert colours of 8th Army!

Ah - having done my research, seeing as I found a 1/35 1st Armoured Div decal, I've decided to do one representing mi Dad's unit in 8th Army.
Looking at timelines for contracts...
A) The few that MAY have got to N. Africa would have been SCC2.
B) They may possibly have had a Desert Pink overpaint
C) Light Stone over SCC2 possible for Italy.
D) A Desert Pink with Slate Grey was possible
Not many Triumphs would have been seen in Africa but certainly Italy.

IMG_20200713_184605.png

This from the excellent Timeline of Brit Camo Colours on Scribd