Builds Italeri 1/72 scale Westland Wessex HU 5

This is a project that stalled quite a few years back, around 2015/16 ish, it's been sat in the pile of doom awaiting work to continue.
paint suggestion.jpg

here's two colour options provided by the kit, both RN colour schemes. But I'm going to do it as this aircraft that I photographed in 1989 in Cyprus, Corp troops, can't remember who they were.
wessex jump.jpg

the kit actually provides a decal option for that Squadron
decal suggestion.jpg

After scraping the overspray off the windscreen and cleaning up the mold lines on the main landing gear struts, drilled out their mounting holes more cleanly, on they went. Then the first airwaves PE fin for the nose.
pe nose fin.jpg

in macro I can see all the pe flaws and the surface texture.
pe nose fin close up.jpg

the aft cabin fin
aft cabin pe fin a.jpg

the cabin step is commendably scale thickness
cabin step b.jpg

pleased with that, the inertia plaguing this kit is well and truly over.
cabin step a.jpg

I’m not sure what the difference is, it may be negligible, but when the RN HU5‘s were transferred to 84 Sqn RAF in Cyprus, they were modified to HC5C’s. If you are into Simmerit levels of accuracy then it could be important!

I’m not sure what the difference is, it may be negligible, but when the RN HU5‘s were transferred to 84 Sqn RAF in Cyprus, they were modified to HC5C’s. If you are into Simmerit levels of accuracy then it could be important!
so does that mean the rotor blades can be folded back, so I can fit it in a smaller glass case?

in answer to my own question, yes it does, and a nice narrow glass case it will be. So I drove out this sunny sunday morning to my local aircraft museum, and grabbed a few ref pictures.
nose starboard side.jpg

The Airwave PE set provides the main landing gear strut steps, but they show them fitting on the wrong side of the aircraft.
strut steps.jpg

they should be on the starboard side.
leg step main landing gear strut.jpg

As far as I remember (I last flew the Wessex 25 years ago…) we had steps on both sides, but that was the crab version so may not be the same as the RN. Our green ones were flown 2 pilot, the SAR versions single pilot I think, not sure how the WAFUs operated so they may not have felt the need for steps both sides.

But the engine exhaust was most definitely not painted, bare metal.

fourteen2two

Old-Salt
I worked on RAF Wessex at Shawbury they had steps both sides and exhausts were bare metal, a copper colour. They were green and grey camouflage, black underneath with a red nose one and red band on rear fuselage with serial letters in white.
We had a Royal visit during my time, a Queens flight Wessex arrived it was very shiny including the jetpipes!

I worked on RAF Wessex at Shawbury they had steps both sides and exhausts were bare metal, a copper colour. They were green and grey camouflage, black underneath with a red nose one and red band on rear fuselage with serial letters in white.
We had a Royal visit during my time, a Queens flight Wessex arrived it was very shiny including the jetpipes!
you're the man to speak to in that case, did the RAF fold the rotor blades back to save hanger space?

theoriginalphantom

MIA
Book Reviewer
Ah, Tangmere!

I did motorcycle training on the remains of the airfield there, before they dug it all up.
The museum was great. I've not been back in (harrumph cough) years ..

the Wessex is a four blade machine. the rotors unbolt and are swivelled on their axis to lay flat sided alongside the fuselage, presumably to avoid rotor sail. Two blades to port
folded rotor blade support.jpg

and two blades to starboard
hf antenna a.jpg

on this exhibit I only count three blades, so I guess the forward facing blade has been removed

But the engine exhaust was most definitely not painted, bare metal.
yes, I will get around to painting the exhaust tube, gives the aircraft a wild boar look, I'm still figuring out how to replicate that exact tone, brass, ally, gold.... maybe, I'll have to experiment.

A few years back, a Queen’s flight Wessex was sitting in the hanger at BK. It was being ‘guarded’ by a crab in white plimsoles, Jokingly, i asked him where the cocktail cabinet was, he took great delight in pointing it out…
aside/
Unlike the grumpy crabs guarding the chinook which had made a heavy landing on Victory Green in Stanley. A series of obviously AAC types wandering past making helpful comments ( “bit late on the round out” “it’s feckin’ fecked innit” etc) didn’t improve their mood one tiny bit.
thread/
exhaust deffo bare metal. Slightly coppery when new, but brown like a car exhaust very quickly.

Latest Threads