Builds Italeri 1/35 scale DUKW Amphibious Truck with Eduard Interior PE part One

Smeggers

ADC
Kit Reviewer
R (2).jpeg

I've wanted to do this kit for a while now. It was one that had been living in my garage providing grazing for the slugs and snails that inhabit the darker reaches until I discovered it during a routine clear out. Unfortunately, the box, instructions and decals were write offs. Water damage and gastropod intrusion left them as soggy, perforated lumps of mush. Happily the instructions are available for download, which is exactly what I did and was able to check all the parts were there and intact. All sprues were still sealed in their cellophane bags, making life a lot easier. The knackered decals would be replaced by some of the myriad ones I have in three folders. (I can't help it! I like nice shiny decals)

The eduard PE is useful for some of the items they replace but absolutely abysmal for others. The two replacement pedals were really rubbish so I made my own from plastic strip and used the PE tread pattern for the plate of the pedal. A lot of the PE is lining for the cab and cargo compartment, giving both a sort of plywood finish.To be honest, in hindsight, I probably wouldn't use it it.

1752_rd.gif
E36045_DUKW-British-Royal-Army-Interior-1-35_b2.jpg

Probably, the dashboard is one of the best replacements and comes complete with a printed sheet of acetate showing the dials. I found it a good idea to avoid fixing this acetate until the dash had been primed and painted. Owing to the amount of PE used in the crew cab, it took a couple of days building the cab and priming it.
IMG_20220618_194233.jpg

The cab was easy to finish off with seats, steering wheel and control levers added. The base of the cab is a single piece of PE which is pre-cut to fit around gear stick, handbrake, drive levers and other assorted protrusions. PE also lines either side of the cab and a studded strip is fitted above this.

IMG_20220620_211416.jpg

With the rifle holders installed either side, the cab is approaching completion. A sprue of clear "windscreen" is included which saves a lot of buggering about with sheets of acetate.The triangular sufferings are glazed and installed. There is a small pocket that fixes to the back of the drivers seat. I completed the cab by painting it in pastel green. It was at this point that I noticed one of the intake covers (Left-hand side) was missing. Despite searching high and low, I couldn't find it! I made a new one by shaping a piece of 0.6mm brass sheet and cutting it out. A bit of fettling, a lot of swearing and a bit of luck and it fitted. Once primed and undercoated, it looked the mutt's nuts. The fitting of the cargo bay is pretty straightforward and the PE floor looked the business. This is where it is absolutely imperative that the parts are fitted correctly. The forward bulkhead, when I fixed it was 3mm adrift, but easily remedied with a short sharp tap from a hammer.Always a good idea to dry fit pieces prior to assembly.
That's it for now, back soon.

Smeggers

View attachment 672447
I've wanted to do this kit for a while now. It was one that had been living in my garage providing grazing for the slugs and snails that inhabit the darker reaches until I discovered it during a routine clear out. Unfortunately, the box, instructions and decals were write offs. Water damage and gastropod intrusion left them as soggy, perforated lumps of mush. Happily the instructions are available for download, which is exactly what I did and was able to check all the parts were there and intact. All sprues were still sealed in their cellophane bags, making life a lot easier. The knackered decals would be replaced by some of the myriad ones I have in three folders. (I can't help it! I like nice shiny decals)

The eduard PE is useful for some of the items they replace but absolutely abysmal for others. The two replacement pedals were really rubbish so I made my own from plastic strip and used the PE tread pattern for the plate of the pedal. A lot of the PE is lining for the cab and cargo compartment, giving both a sort of plywood finish.To be honest, in hindsight, I probably wouldn't use it it.

View attachment 672452 View attachment 672453
Probably, the dashboard is one of the best replacements and comes complete with a printed sheet of acetate showing the dials. I found it a good idea to avoid fixing this acetate until the dash had been primed and painted. Owing to the amount of PE used in the crew cab, it took a couple of days building the cab and priming it.
View attachment 672455
The cab was easy to finish off with seats, steering wheel and control levers added. The base of the cab is a single piece of PE which is pre-cut to fit around gear stick, handbrake, drive levers and other assorted protrusions. PE also lines either side of the cab and a studded strip is fitted above this.

View attachment 672456
With the rifle holders installed either side, the cab is approaching completion. A sprue of clear "windscreen" is included which saves a lot of buggering about with sheets of acetate.The triangular sufferings are glazed and installed. There is a small pocket that fixes to the back of the drivers seat. I completed the cab by painting it in pastel green. It was at this point that I noticed one of the intake covers (Left-hand side) was missing. Despite searching high and low, I couldn't find it! I made a new one by shaping a piece of 0.6mm brass sheet and cutting it out. A bit of fettling, a lot of swearing and a bit of luck and it fitted. Once primed and undercoated, it looked the mutt's nuts. The fitting of the cargo bay is pretty straightforward and the PE floor looked the business. This is where it is absolutely imperative that the parts are fitted correctly. The forward bulkhead, when I fixed it was 3mm adrift, but easily remedied with a short sharp tap from a hammer.Always a good idea to dry fit pieces prior to assembly.
That's it for now, back soon.

Smeggers
How long did you spend on the build? And where’s the coke can?

Incidentally looks rather good!

Smeggers

ADC
Kit Reviewer
How long did you spend on the build? And where’s the coke can?

Incidentally looks rather good!
About a week in total. Sorry no coke can, don't drink the stuff.

Smegs,
Your model making skill isn't in dispute but FFS, get yourself a decent phone camera!!
Your phots have all the quality of an 80's polaroid lol.
Seriously, if you're amiable, I can give a few easy pointers to better display your fine work.
You have, however, hit upon a novel way of smearing a lens filter with Vaseline to create a misty look without actually having to do so, as I was taught on my photography courses. :cool:

Smeggers

ADC
Kit Reviewer
Smegs,
Your model making skill isn't in dispute but FFS, get yourself a decent phone camera!!
Seriously, if you're amiable, I can give a few easy pointers to better display your fine work.
You have, however, hit upon a novel way of smearing a lens filter with Vaseline to create a misty look without actually having to do so, as I was taught on my photography courses. :cool:
The camera is part of the kindle I use on all my e-mails, dealings etc. There is no way I can alter the lens but I will try to improve the shots.

The camera is part of the kindle I use on all my e-mails, dealings etc. There is no way I can alter the lens but I will try to improve the shots.
Light, light and more light.
See if the kindle has the ability to alter the time of exposure and hold it steady or rest the kindle on something solid when taking the shot.
I'm this close || to sending you my old iPhone just to see your work as it should be.!!!

Maximus Acidus

Old-Salt
For real authenticity you should paint it yellow and fill it with a mix of sun-burnt and oriental tourists. Place it (rapidly sinking) in a little diorama of dirty brown water with a few floaters and a scratch built London Eye in the background and you'll have nailed it.

Smeggers

ADC
Kit Reviewer
For real authenticity you should paint it yellow and fill it with a mix of sun-burnt and oriental tourists. Place it (rapidly sinking) in a little diorama of dirty brown water with a few floaters and a scratch built London Eye in the background and you'll have nailed it.
Made oi larf that did!:bounce: Thought it was Liverpool the yellow DUKW sunk?

Another great model!

It brought back memories. I'm from the Burg and as kid I can remember them driving around and going to the amphibious centre at Rhu - possibly going on to Benbecula?

Years later I went on a tourist one in Boston. We were all encouraged to shout 'Quack, quack' as we drove/sailed around!

Made oi larf that did!:bounce: Thought it was Liverpool the yellow DUKW sunk?
London, Liverpool and in the Colonies. DUKW don't mind.... Perhaps an entrepreneur could sell them as Martini Tours, 'Anytime, anyplace, anywhere'?
As a kid, the highlight of the week in a miniscule caravan at Hunstanton was a trip in a DUKW off the beach.
The DUKW has now been retired to be replaced with LARCs.
Award Winning Sea Tours - Searles Sea Tours Hunstanton
Model looks good Smeggers. I recently finished off a conversion to one fitted with a Merryweather ladder intended for use at Pointe du Hoc on D-Day. The ladder parts were mostly filched from the 1/24th Heller Fire truck. I met a lady whilst on Poppy Appeal duties whose FiL was one of the RASC drivers of such DUKWs. Unable to get the DUKW close enough to the cliffs, he and his mate went ashore dragging ammunition up the rope ladders, and helping WIA back to the beach. They both got gongs.

NSP

LE
About a week in total. Sorry no coke can, don't drink the stuff.
I move that this august body resolve to redesignate the Forum Fixed Scale (FFS!) from specifically a Coke can to any standard 330ml drinks can, regardless of brand or flavour, Mr. Chairman.

Maximus Acidus

Old-Salt
I move that this august body resolve to redesignate the Forum Fixed Scale (FFS!) from specifically a Coke can to any standard 330ml drinks can, regardless of brand or flavour, Mr. Chairman.
I second the proposal from my Fellow Forum Subscriber (FFS), as I too don't drink the aforementioned sugary brown liquid beverage.

Smeggers

ADC
Kit Reviewer
Motion carried, now sod off!

Smeggers

ADC
Kit Reviewer
Smegs,
These any better. Photographed in my collapsible studio.
IMG_20220624_145836.jpg

IMG_20220624_145849.jpg

IMG_20220624_145900.jpg

The Vickers K had a ultra high rate of fire
The Vickers K had an adjustable rate of fire between 950 and 1,200 rounds per minute; faster than the German MG34
I would hazard to suggest that having emptied the drums on the outer MGs in nano-seconds, rather than fumble about changing mags on top of a fun-fair ride, the gunner reached for MG#3 to keep the opposition at bay.
However, the gunner being a 'Ranger', might well have developed a party trick.......
If so, let's hope he didn't have an ND......
BTW reports of the D-day assault state that one ladder was raised and the gunner ascended to spray the cliff-top as the DUKW wallowed about, the top of the ladder describing an arc, with the target area coming into view at the apex of the arc. A stronger constitution than mine!

Always surprised , arriving in Sardinia in 1995 for a 9 month adventurous training “holiday” posting , there were still a couple of DUKWs rotting in the fields next to the road going towards Villasimius. Still there until about 98 when the road was made into a two lane jobbie.

The Vickers K had a ultra high rate of fire
The Vickers K had an adjustable rate of fire between 950 and 1,200 rounds per minute; faster than the German MG34
I would hazard to suggest that having emptied the drums on the outer MGs in nano-seconds, rather than fumble about changing mags on top of a fun-fair ride, the gunner reached for MG#3 to keep the opposition at bay.
However, the gunner being a 'Ranger', might well have developed a party trick.......
If so, let's hope he didn't have an ND......
BTW reports of the D-day assault state that one ladder was raised and the gunner ascended to spray the cliff-top as the DUKW wallowed about, the top of the ladder describing an arc, with the target area coming into view at the apex of the arc. A stronger constitution than mine!
Weapon of choice for RAF Regt makeshift AA positions and their Armoured cars. And the shadowy bunch for the commander on “them’s” raiding Jeeps.

Ummm - point of order, but we have 330 short fat tins (coke, other fizzy stuff) and 330 tall thin tins (tonic, cider, mixed drinks etc). Can we specify which ones exactly?

I won't be able to sleep until I know the answer.

Latest Threads