IT work experience wanted! Cisco - CCNA, VoIP, Security, Comp Tia N+

Discussion in 'Jobs (Discussion)' started by WHYayeMAN547, Jul 23, 2013.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hi guys,

I'm leaving the army after 15 years as a Royal Engineer. Currently training for the qualifications listed above and looking for some work experience in between courses.

I'm hardworking and reliable would be happy to undertake some of the less glamorous in return for a little bit of mentoring and real world experience.

I live in York but would be prepared to travel to anywhere in Yorkshire. Maybe even as far as Newcastle!

Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated.
  2. Wordsmith

Wordsmith LE Book Reviewer

Identify some of the larger IT firms in the area and send a letter in to HR explaining your background and asking for work experience. Best bet is to ring the firm and get a name and/or email address so that you write to a specific individual.

It might not be paid work, but it all helps the CV.

3. Wise words Wordsworth -I'll try that approach!
  4. It might be worth contacting Virgin Media, they have some pretty hefty network coverage in the area, Hudds/Leeds/Wetherby/Harrogate and York...

BT could also be worth a punt, Software Box north of York might have some techy posts and obviously supply a lot of the MoD kit.

There's also Asda in Leeds, Morrisons in Bradford and the banks in Leeds and Bradford... It might be worth a quick toour around the industrial estates the topside of York as there might be a few Hi-Tech firms interested in you, there's also a couple of ISPs based up that way Planet used to be one of them but I'm not sure who they're owned by now.
  5. Planet is wholly owned subsidiary of BT these days.

6. PM sent fella. Check your inbox.