It will take humanity as well as guns to beat the Taliban

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by Skynet, Jan 3, 2009.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. From The Sunday Times
    January 4, 2009
    It will take humanity as well as guns to beat the Taliban, says General David Petraeus
    David Petraeus, the US general who transformed the campaign in Iraq, has been declared the leading public intellectual. The thinking man’s soldier explains the limitations of shooting and killing

Dominic Lawson
    Sometimes a man’s appearance can be misleading. This one is about 5ft 9in tall, not especially powerful in build; he has ears that stick out and teeth that seem too big for his mouth and he walks with a slightly asymmetric tilt. Yet this is General David Petraeus, the warrior whose “surge” saved America from a humiliating scuttle out of Iraq and who is now the head of United States Central Command (Centcom).
    More on the link
    http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/world/iraq/article5437950.ece

2. Very true.
    john

3. You mean this wasn't common knowledge until now??

4. Do yanks do humanity??

5. Uk forces need a bit a Humility when speaking about the US forces.
    Compare Op Iraqi Feedom to the mess of Northern Ireland today. At least the Yanks weren't on Op. Appeasement. Say what you will about the Americans, at least they turn up in sufficient numbers to do the job.

6. Badly.

7. They are lucky that they have the troops to supply. We are just a little island if you remember...?

8. The same little island that has kept the world free since about 1815

9. He does seem to have the right idea though and has transformed the situation in Iraq, and is poised to use the same strategy in Afghanistan. Don't knock him too much. He's certainly got more of an idea than his predessessor and his CinC.

10. Only with help of The Prussians.

11. Prussian help post 1914?
    I farked up/ We've been stopping loons since around 1500

Attached Files:

12. Your reply makes no sense what so ever.
    Ive just read this in The Booker column(Sunday Telegraph)

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/comment/columnists/christopherbooker/4092439/Our-Army-failed-its-test-in-Iraq.html

As the MSM only report on the death of one of our troops, I really don't have a clue what is going on in those sandy places. Do You?
    Michael Yon does a decent report on what our troops were going through, Ross Kemp has brought the attention to the British public what The British Forces are doing.
    I'm not having a go at you, but surely someone on here can tell me why our whole town turned out for the funeral of a local Grenadier, then you get a report like that. I do not believe in the saying 'Lions led by donkeys' is revalent anymore, but I still don't understand what exactley we are doing over there.

13. We had the numbers to do the job in NI unfortunately we also had the US as our strongest critic and a significant source of finance and weapons for the IRA et al, even in a post WTC attack world it is difficult for many Americans to see the white, Christian?, IRA as terrorists.

14. :? How many see the Terrorist, White, IRA, as Christian?

15. I see what you did there , nice try for a Wha