It was old but it was beautiful...

.....and the colours they were fine,
It was worn in Derry, Augherin, Inniskilling and the Boyne....

HAPPY 316th ANNIVERSARY OF THE BATTLE OF THE BOYNE to all those with Regimental antecedents who took part in this epic struggle for English Protestant supremacy.

There are regiments with the Batle Honour 'The Boyne'???? Good God! I never knew that!

Hooray !

But dont forget the Scots settlers that built the place, nor the various Europeans soldiers
that made the Glorious Revolution possible :eek:

Roadless said:
Hooray !

But dont forget the Scots settlers that built the place, nor the various Europeans soldiers
many of whom were European Catholics fighting for lolly, so its all crap really

londonirish said:
Roadless said:
Hooray !

many of whom were European Catholics fighting for lolly, so its all crap really

Who cares ! it was a Glorious Revolution over a tyrant, I believe one is long overdue
over our current administration :eek:

Queensman said:

HAPPY 316th ANNIVERSARY OF THE BATTLE OF THE BOYNE to all those with Regimental antecedents who took part in this epic struggle for English Protestant supremacy.

GSTQ&NS ?

mereminx said:
:x I'm still horribly, horribly hung over!
mereminx

I always thought that you were Teetotal :wink:

mereminx said:
Rumrunner said:
mereminx said:
:x I'm still horribly, horribly hung over!
mereminx

I always thought that you were Teetotal :wink:
:oops: Its an annual thing RR!! As well you know!!

:x I couldn't even cope in Belfast this morning I had to crawl home and die pathetically!
Any excuse will do Minx :wink:

Queensman said:

...and for those of us descended from the original Gaelic Catholic inhabitants of Ireland on whose land this 'epic struggle' was fought? "English Protestant supremacy" unfortunately resulted in the breaking of the terms of the 1691 Treaty of Limerick and the imposition of the Penal Laws (in direct contravention of the terms of the Treaty), which held force in Ireland from 1695 until 1829, whereby more than three quarters of the population of the island - including Presbyterians - were disenfranchised, and were legally non-existant. Another wonderful by-product was Republicanism...yes, a 'Glorious Revolution' indeed, as long as one wasn't Catholic.

I will be recognising today, though being of Jacobite descent, I can hardly 'celebrate'. The family had two regiments in James II's army (later took the 'Wild Geese' route)...however, mother's family being Scottish carpetbaggers :wink: they were probably there with the Dutchman.

Roadless said:
Hooray !

There were others there beforehand Roadless, or do you imagine that 'Ulster' was an uninhabited desert prior to the Plantation? For example, my family had been in Ulster from about...well, let's take c.200BC as a 'ball park' figure? Yours?

Of course, being an historian (and an Anglophile half-Scots mongrel 8O ) I take the dispassionate view that these unfortunate things do happen at times... :x

I shall raise a glass of course...to 'the King over the water' :wink:

the_matelot said:
gallowglass said:
I thought Elvis was dead? 8O
Is he...?! :omfg: [another family tradition shattered]

gallowglass said:
Roadless said:
Hooray !

There were others there beforehand Roadless, or do you imagine that 'Ulster' was an uninhabited desert prior to the Plantation? For example, my family had been in Ulster from about...well, let's take c.200BC as a 'ball park' figure? Yours?

Of course, being an historian (and an Anglophile half-Scots mongrel 8O ) I take the dispassionate view that these unfortunate things do happen at times... :x

Aye, but the natives dont count :eek:

Roadless said:
gallowglass said:
Roadless said:
Hooray !

Aye, but the natives dont count :eek:
ah but the Scots came from Ireland so you are merely returning wanderers anyway

the_matelot said:
gallowglass said:

Good one :eek:

But he aint dead I've been talkin to him on the CB :eek:

Roadless said:
the_matelot said:
gallowglass said:

Good one :eek:

But he aint dead I've been talkin to him on the CB :eek:
I got an email from him the other day...apparently he's stuck in Nigeria and needs some cash, I wired it to him, he promised to meet me at Heathrow on his way back to Graceland, but he didn't turn up :cry:

The bast*rd :eek:

Latest Threads