IT training for ressetlement

I decided to use one of my ELC for IT training, I wanted part time study from home so thought that would be best.
After some research decided to go with a set of Comptia qualifications provided by Southstep but later turned out to be Robustit.
Just a word of warning for anybody thinking about it:
The material provided is below par. It's a set of videos which loosely cover the Objectives. Followed by a multiple choice test for each module. Some of the questions/answers are wrong or don't make sense. And are littered with typos.
So far I've completed about 140 quid worth of exams in 6 months (paid over 2 grand, 400 of my own money) and also have had to find other training materials as the ones provided just don't cut it.
Granted I'm studying at a slow pace so not maximising the value for money.
Personally if I could do it again I would avoid this company.

I decided to use one of my ELC for IT training, I wanted part time study from home so thought that would be best.
After some research decided to go with a set of Comptia qualifications provided by Southstep but later turned out to be Robustit.
Just a word of warning for anybody thinking about it:
The material provided is below par. It's a set of videos which loosely cover the Objectives. Followed by a multiple choice test for each module. Some of the questions/answers are wrong or don't make sense. And are littered with typos.
So far I've completed about 140 quid worth of exams in 6 months (paid over 2 grand, 400 of my own money) and also have had to find other training materials as the ones provided just don't cut it.
Granted I'm studying at a slow pace so not maximising the value for money.
Personally if I could do it again I would avoid this company.
CompTIA quals are not worth 2 grand.

if you want a career in IT you’d be better off asking ‘what quals are required for entry level IT jobs’ in whatever field you’re interested in. IT is a massive subject area.

Loads of people on here could help you out.

Alternatively, do a search for job adverts in the area you want to go into, and see what common quals they want in candidates.

Sorry to be harsh, but there’s no point sugarcoating it.

If you have no/little practical IT experience Comptia A+ and net + would be a great place to start. I got into certification late so never did them but for a broad brush of skills you can't go wrong. That said paying 2K for a video course is a rip off! Get yourself in a classroom environment where you can ask if you get stuck and get the practical as well as the theory. CBT nuggets are a great online provider but quite expensive, I get free access through ITW at Blandford but I think that's just for signals (I'm assuming your not signals or you should have been told about this).

Once you get the basics you need to choose an area to get good at, I'm a network guy so I went down the Cisco route. This is not something I or anyone else can advise you on, you really need to find out what you enjoy then just go for the certification that is associated with that field. I would also avoid degree programs in IT as they really offer little value for money in comparison to a certification but that's a whole other subject.

Good luck

CB

I would also avoid degree programs in IT as they really offer little value for money in comparison to a certification but that's a whole other subject.

Good luck

CB
Degrees can be useful but really only if you go for one with a placement year, a years experience is worth more than the degree really. The degree is only useful for getting you to an interview really, unless you're going to work in the public sector when they often do matter

I retrained and got a degree in Software Engineering, some of it was downright pointless unless I ended up with the likes of NASA doing formal methods like Z, some of the materials were out of date when I was doing my degree, and it was only really saved by the odd lecturer going along this is the theory you need to know but in the real world throw that away and do this kind of teaching, which in the case of databases has stood me in good stead

Would I have done it in hindsight, no if I could have got the work experience another route, but what I did on my placement year helped immensely and I'm still doing it now, albeit working from home out in the stick rather than chasing London money

Last edited:
Just buy the books off amazon or borrow them from your local library. Make sure you are getting the ones which are current or you'll be studying old materials.

These guys seems to be offering video materials for free: e.g Free CompTIA A+ Training, Online Beginner IT Course | Cybrary (NB I Have no idea of the quality and make no warranties, YMMV, etc)

Latest Threads