It seems the Syrians were after a nuke...

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by Ord_Sgt, Sep 17, 2007.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Ord_Sgt

Ord_Sgt RIP

Timesonline story.

Naughty naughty.

As an aside some of the comments on the story are barking.
    Yeeeee haaaarrrr. :roll:
  2. As a general rule of thumb: any article the Times (esp. the Sunday Times) publishes about the Middle East is bollocks (with the honourable exception of Christina Lamb-esque With Our Boys in XXX stuff).

It's really a cheerleading neocon propapaganda organ, and never backs up its startling claims.
  3. Generally people should not generalise.
  4. Ord_Sgt

Ord_Sgt RIP

It doesn't mean its not true.

But thanks for your well thought out contribution there. Perhaps you can go and give frenchie a call and open a thread about the 4th Estate conspiracy to delude us all. :roll:
  5. What year was this supposed to have happened?
  6. Ord_Sgt

Ord_Sgt RIP

err last week apparently.
  7. Err... I'm not a tinfoil hat-wearing loon, I work for a major international news organisation and my best friends are broadsheet journalists- including for the Sunday Times. My sceptical attitude to elements of the press derives from working for it.

I've been following this story since it broke- I even started the thread on it here: )- and have noted that only the Times and the right-wing Israeli press (quoting the Times) give credence to the nuke theory. Haaretz is, true to form, discussing likelier alternatives: a warning to Iran, say, or disruption of supplies to Hezbullah.

But going back to the Times, feel free to look up any of their archive of War On Terror Exclusive Sunday extravaganzas and see how many of them have any basis in fact.
  8. Ord_Sgt

Ord_Sgt RIP

Sure but whinging on that the Times is a 'neocon propaganda organ' doesn't really add much to the original post does it. In fact you added nothing at all except look at me I'm a media expert, good for you mate enjoy your job. I worked for AP and even Vodafone in the past too but this has nothing to do with the story as to weather the Syrians were after nukes and weather the evil Jews bombed them.

Theres a good saying if you have nothing to say say nothing. Thanks for dropping by. :roll:
  9. So only the paper you read tells the truth :roll: and how long did you do in the armed forces ?
  10. At some point the IDF are going to miss stopping one of the arab states making an atomic bomb and then Israel and the West are in the cag.
  11. Quite frankly, it's anyone's guess as to whether or not the Syrians were caught glowing-handed. As Haaretz has it,

The info coming out is completely contradictory, so far. Perhaps it is true; N Korea reacted pretty stridently to it. However, I know for a fact that quality control at the Sunday Times is very low when it comes to their reporting of the Middle East, and felt justified in stating that. Their reporting of the run up to the invasion of Iraq was a disgrace, for instance. If you think I'm adding nothing by stating that we should beware of speculation presented as fact by a newspaper with a long record of doing just that, during a period of escalating tension vis-a-vis Israel & Syria and US and Iran, then that's your call.

I only presented my credentials when you called me a far-left conspiracy theorist.

And VB: I'm an officer cadet in the TA. Sorry if that's not warry enough for you. I intend to make it warry as soon as possible.
  12. :lol: :lol: :lol: Stop fighting pen pushers :lol: :lol: :lol: Any body found a nuke yet. :? :? :?
  13. Ord_Sgt

Ord_Sgt RIP

Mate do you like the sound of your own voice or something. I posted a story on what is after all the Army RUMOUR service for some comment. It may or may not be true, time will tell.

You jump in pointing out the newspaper concerned are not to be trusted, fair enough, but throwing in the neocon mouthpiece tag just indicates you have bias. I point this out and suggest common ground with another poster who whinges all day that the press are out to get us all and you say I called you a tin hat wearing leftie. Your inference not mine. You then go on to bore us all with nothing whatsover about the thread. Mate theres no need to be so dull you know, try going outside and talking with other people its quite fun, theres girls and everything.

As for wary officer cadet stuff, what in hells name has that got to do with this thread? But well done....
  14. "The Syrians were after a nuke"?

Good Lord, I'm glad I'm sitting down else I might fall over from shock....after all, Syria is a land of freedom and happiness, where the alleyways of the souks in Damascus flow with milk and honey and the people give thanks for living 'neath the enlightened rule of the House of Assad, headed as it is by the young and vibrant Bashar al-Assad, and his 'Western' wife, who must be pro-Western as they have lived 'in the West' and speak English (good enough for me, yes indeedy...)

frenchperson et al are a little slow out of the blocks in poo-poohing this story.

I must say that I find the idea of The Times being a 'neocon propaganda organ' hilarious.
  15. You dont half talk some crap, why on earth would we be in the crap if any middle east states have nuclear weapons procured covertly.

Ok wiat they have....Isreal.

When are we going to invade them for there WMD .... bugly