It`s True, the Welsh are Dodgy Twats

That's Riverside, just west of the town centre. But it has got two of the best Indian-Pakkie shops this side of the Khyber Pass.

Our African friends tend to congregate in Butetown down by the docks. Years back I went to the carnival down there and nipped into the Paddlesteamer for a beer. In the gloom all you could see was sets of teeth around the edge of the room - a quick Rorke's Drift re-enactment.
Thanks to the Yemenis, used to be popular place to get your Qhat as well.

Obviously all stopped now that it was banned.

Ho Ho!

overopensights

ADC
Book Reviewer
Thanks to the Yemenis, used to be popular place to get your Qhat as well.

Obviously all stopped now that it was banned.

Ho Ho!
Just before the time of WW1 the dusky fellows came into Cardiff and congregated around the area of Bute. If there was a murder in the area the police convicted a Somali, The jobbed was jobbed!

Translate 'one hundred' into Welsh using Google translate or Alexa. It sums up Wales

Just before the time of WW1 the dusky fellows came into Cardiff and congregated around the area of Bute. If there was a murder in the area the police convicted a Somali, The jobbed was jobbed!
Some would suggest South Wales Police have never stopped......

overopensights

ADC
Book Reviewer
Some would suggest South Wales Police have never stopped......
A friend of mine was high up in the Cardiff police, he was to the right of Genghis Khan, and all his staff knew it. If a particular street was unruly, he would arrange for his shortest policeman to walk its length after dark. Sitting in a car following would be two or three of his hardest men, he was never short of volunteers.

Apparently, some time before WW1, a shipload of putative emigrants to the US were taken on by a captain with a marvellous imagination. He sailed past Gib, then turned right (and nobody noticed? and this the nation that gave us Columbus and Marco Polo?). On reaching Cardiff he told them all it was New York and to bugger off, which they did, and lo, ice cream came to the valleys....

Well it was the Spanish civil war that gave us in "Pill" a great fish & chip shop Cueto's. But we did have an Italian radio & bike shop Scarfi's next to the Co-op.

All stand please.

All stand please.

Max Boyce is a fucking legend. He still lives in Glynneath.

I remember seeing him in the stands when I went to watch my girlfriend's brother play for the B team. Rugby Union for those that don't know. It was a cold Tuesday night under floodlights.

He put money in to the club I think, or maybe was just a patron, anyway, he was well up for it. Max loved his Rugby with a passion. Who else could have made songs like that?

Here's Max Live at Treorchy:

To see him in his full racist glory:

Asso Asso Yogoshi

Maybe you needed to be there?

I Know 'cos I was There: 1978 · EMI (gold)

Maybe you didn't need to be there, maybe you just needed to be Welsh.

A deep sense of pride we have. A deep sense of inferiority we have.

Complex people. Not always good people.

Good and bad, as in every people.

I'm not so proud of being Welsh. But I'm not that ashamed of it either.

Max Boyce might not be a Billy Connolly when it comes down to it. But then again, he didn't fuck off to LA to live out the last of his good days.

Max is as Welsh as the anthracite they found but 10 feet under the ground in some of the seams.

In fact, my girfriend from Glynneath's brother I mentioned earlier who played for Glynneath B told me of the times he would go out 'nicking coal' skating down mountains of the stuff. Still illegal of course. Highly so. But no one ever noticed in the dead of night. Blacked out. Strange people. One people. Policed themselves. It was done as much for fun as for profit.

Some people went scrumping apples, we went scrumping coal.

Ah, the hiraeth is strong tonight boys!

A friend of mine was high up in the Cardiff police, he was to the right of Genghis Khan, and all his staff knew it. If a particular street was unruly, he would arrange for his shortest policeman to walk its length after dark. Sitting in a car following would be two or three of his hardest men, he was never short of volunteers.
I won't have a bad word said about the South Wales Police.

I went home after 20 years in london and got pissed up. Massive sesh!

Got a taxi home.

Whoops. Wrong address. No mobile. Banging on doors. Police called.

Me, pissed up: Xschsuse me officer, I thstchingk there is shoome mischundershtanding.

Ok, boyo: Where you from?

Gave them my full details.

No problem. None of that 'are you arreshting me offsisher' shit.

Fair play to the chaps, they gave me a lift all the way home. Only a mile or so, but I would have never found it. I was fucked. They really helped me out.

The aren't a fucking taxi service. But they were that night! And a free one!

Little acts like that make them my friendshs for life, my best buddies in the whole world!

What can I say? I used to live in Kings X and got arrested once for reporting a burglary!

Well put. However, there seems to be a total absence of legionnaires.
But their influence lives on.

" Sidoli’s ice cream parlour, Ebbw Vale and Cresci’s Café and ice cream parlour, Gwaun-Cae-Gurwen: many of the Valleys Italian cafes included home-made ice cream on their menus, and some have continued solely as ice cream parlours. These are two of the best, and for all their fancy ideas, I still don’t think you can beat their creamy vanillas."

We got a Cresci's in Skewen.

We got a lot of Italians in South Wales - the biggest diaspora outside of New York. By country size anyway.

My great uncle's first wife (in Wales) was from Ireland and she married an Italian (initially) who was interned in Ireland. He ran an ice cream shop. In Wales.

They called their son 'Mario'.

He moved to Magherafelt and got his ice cream shop bombed a couple of times.

Anyway, Cresci's did amazing fish and chips, as well as ice cream.

Quite a few of my friends growing up were called Vito or Angelo or Gino.

South Wales has a massive contingent of them.

You get used to it after a while. Very dark haired girls, very dark eyes.

My little half-sister was called 'Louisa' and she had olive skin and spoke with her hands. Italian family.

But my family goes back 500 years or more in the Samlet I was born, back through coal and back to the 'metal ages'.

Bunch a plastic Taffs!

Let's see what you're made of eh boys?

Never mind the odd high tackle, the odd forward pass.

If this doesn't raise your hackles and put a cold chill down your back...

J.P.R. -

John Williams?

Let's have a bit of that famous Wing J.J. Williams!

I fucking love these boys!

South wales police thatI came in Contact with in Brecon in may 66,was on selection and had a bad fall breaking my knee cap, so was hobbling around on crutches waiting to be rtu,d to hereford,,it was a friday evening, not fancying a weekend supposedly unfit to travel stuck in bcks,I decided to hitch down to treforest to visit my grandparents, a couple of miles from camp a wolsey car pulled up asked where I was going,they were coppers from Porth, they took me all the way home up the mountain in treforest , also arranged police from Ponty to pick me up sunday afternoon and take me back to camp , top blokes !!!!!!!

Goatman

ADC
Book Reviewer
It's a myth .
South East Wales is ok. Just funny speaking English tbh.

West Wales. They **** sheep and cattle. Like the Irish but less friendly.

North Wales. They **** goats and burn houses down. Like Afghanistan but with more hostile natives.

Okay I laughed....having been to both North Wales and Afghanistan I know which one I prefer :)
( The tea in AFG is vile)

Bunch a plastic Taffs!

Let's see what you're made of eh boys?

Never mind the odd high tackle, the odd forward pass.

If this doesn't raise your hackles and put a cold chill down your back...

J.P.R. -

John Williams?

Let's have a bit of that famous Wing J.J. Williams!

I ******* love these boys!

I really am lucky, despite coming from Pill in Newport, in my childhood days it was rough but only because the men worked hard, docks, steelworks, railways etc and played/drank hard BUT it wasn't a slum as the beeb called it in a documentary once after it had been redeveloped, from lines of neat & clean terraced houses to a concrete maze.
The Rugby scenes take me back, I was fortunate enough just coming back from my time in N. Rhodesia to see Newport beat the All Blacks 3 - 0 at Rodney parade. Later I was playing for 4 seasons, late '60's - early '70's in the second row for London Welsh, never in the first 2 teams, they were nearly all Welsh or Lions caps. So I had the pleasure of knowing & training with a lot of those players shown in those clips including the great JPR.
The teams I played in from the thirds down to the sixths only lost 4 matches in 4 seasons. I can remember being pack leader for the third team beating a well known home counties town first team, 60 odd points to 3. After the match in the club house their captain was handing out the jugs of ale when he asked me "This was your thirds I assume?" , thinking/inferring perhaps it was a higher squad. I told him yes, it was the third team and explained that the second row with me was the army second row from the Welsh Guards based in London, the No. 8 was the Army No. 8 also Welsh Guards, one of our flankers was a former Welsh & Cambridge blue, Roger Michaelson, The stand off was also a former Welsh player as was the winger coming back from injury.
London Welsh was a fantastic team in those days as was the Welsh