IT Resettlement course providers

Discussion in 'Education and Resettlement Courses' started by Zarathustra, Jun 2, 2013.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I've done a very quick search so apologies if I've missed a similar thread.

I'm starting to make plans for my future as a stinking fat civvy. As I'm still a nerd at heart a career in IT seems like it might be the way to go, however I've been out of the civvy IT loop for 12 years and therefore am a bit behind the curve.

I have two questions for those that have made the move from military to IT type person and/or those who work in the IT industry in general:

1 - I'm drawn towards the networking side of life however I've I do decide to follow this path I'm unsure of what qualifications I will NEED and which will be beneficial to have i.e should a concentrate on Microsoft, Cisco or do a mix of both?

2 - Can anyone recommend good reputable resettlement providers? JBC Training was recommended by a friend, but as he's not yet left he doesn't have any first hand experience of their service. I'd ask mates from my unit who've left recently however those that have headed in an IT direction have all gone for the fibre optic/cable installation type courses.

Any additional information anyone can provide will be welcomed.
  2. My partner works in IT if you want to chat to him I'm sure he'd have some advice.
  3. Sounds like a plan, there's no rush yet I've got a while to work things out and can't start resettlement for a few months. My brother works in IT as well, I just want to make sure I get as much advice as possible so make the right choice and don't waste my (the Armys) money.
  4. I know he has the MCSE but no idea what else. He manages a large data centre. No idea if any jobs are available but he may know, have advice.
  5. Choice of what I would call 'plumbing' versus Systems Administration I would suggest (at the risk of stating the obvious) comes down to affinity or past experience. If it is the latter, then don't restrict your view to Microsoft. Redhat Linux is gaining popularity in corporate environments as is virtualization from vendors such as VMware or Citrix (Microsoft's product is called Hyper-V in this space).

As far as Cisco is concerned, the entry level certifications is CCNA, although I've interviewed people with this who have turned out to be utter fuckwits. CCNP is something to aspire to, but these days the product portfolio is so huge for both CCNA and CCNP you have to choose which stream you want to go for (routing & switching, voice or security etc.) It used to be so much easier in the days when they only made routers. MIcrosoft offer a number of streams, although if it was me, I'd stick to the Server or SQL Server paths. People certified on Lync are not that common and if you can combine that with Exchange then there's plenty of demand for people with those skills. In fact, unified communications whether it's Cisco or Microsoft is always popular.

May I suggest a scan of jobserve or jobsite for positions in the area that you plan to settle in and see what the demand is like for the various vendors above and what sort of money is on offer. Happy to have a chat with you if you like, just drop us a PM.
    • Like Like x 1
  6. Thanks for the info so far, anymore recommendations for training providers?
  7. London based? Where are you looking to work and how long do you have left in? Joe at Commsupport is good, the kit's good and most of your learning is hands on. Do you know anyone who does networking and do you the have the basics? If not, he does a freebie one day intro:

CommSupport | Cisco CCNA & Cisco CCNP courses | Free Cisco Training

Joe seems to be trying a new format, the expanded additional days appear to be aimed at those coming into the industry.

CCNA courses | CCNA training | CCNA Live On-line Training
  8. Also worthwhile thinking about geographical constraints. For example if you're in the M4 Corridor, you're spoiled for choice but perhaps you'd prefer to be somewhere else. If you go down a technology route (Cisco is still pretty widespread) be careful you don't restrict your options, particularly working away from your family etc.
  9. M3/M4 corridor and Thames Valley is where you want to be if not in London. When I moved into IT I asked my future manager where was good, he said anywhere around the M25 - the twat. I moved to Kent which is a bugger. I.hate.the.feckin.QE2.bridge.........
  10. I'll probably not be out till feb/march next year as I'm going through the MD process and not terminating.

I'll be living in Essex very close to the M25 and A13 and about 30 mins out of Fenchurch Street.

My brother is a network administrator so I'll be picking his brains next time I get home.
  11. Speak to Joe - he loves what he does and is a good instructor. He does an ELC package and you can do the course ASAP then use your time to get up to speed.
  12. Thanks for the advice so far guys, my med board is looming in the not too distant future so anyone else got any training providers to recommend?
  13. Just a quick bump
  14. Another bump
  15. Another bump to see if anyone has any more advice and to ask if the comptia a+ is a worth while course or would it be a waste of my resettlement?