IT Question

Discussion in 'Army Pay, Claims & JPA' started by Bison, Jan 12, 2006.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

  1. I'm not sure if this is the right place to ask, but does anyone know about portable USB hard drives? Specifically, could I copy the entire hard drive from my PC onto one, including programmes, then plug the device into another PC and run those programmes, or is it only good for storing files?
  2. the simple answer is no, unless you used a program like virtual PC to create the drive in the first place but thats more involved. I presume we are talking about a windows machine here and not linux
  3. It all depends on exactly what the programs you want to run are......
    The vast majority of software nowadays installs various bits & bobs into the registry which is NOT transportable.
    If you give us the specifics i.e. EXACTLY what you want to achieve, we'll be better placed to advise you.


  4. If you don't mind overwritting the HD on the destination computer use a program called Ghost which will create an exact copy of the source HD. Otherwise, no.
  5. The simple answer is no - when you install a program, you can chose to install it where you like. But the installation makes changes to the local registry which make it work when you click the short cut to that program.

    If you want a program to be available wherever you take your usb hard drive, you need to copy the installation disk onto your usb hard drive and install it wherever you go.
  6. Unless they are zero install applications......


  7. You are of course right BFG, but i was thinking about applications beyond the 1.44mb range - dont expect to install your MS Office on a usb hdd and think it will work wherever you go.
  8. Ghost is a bloody nightmare to use.
    If your going to start playing around with Ghost then get your hands on a copy of Partition Magic first.

    Ghost has a nasty habit of creating a new and faulty partition on the source PC, which only a repartition can fix.
  9. msr

    msr LE

  10. You need to reformat the hard drive to NTFS for files over 4gb as well.
  11. Thanks for all the info, folks. Being a simple guy when it comes to IT, I guess the answer is "no." Thanks anyway.