IT Project Management - contracting

As I said the day rate they are charging clients is £350-400.

Unfortunately I see less than 50% of that.
Way back in the day I worked for a year resourcing staff for IT projects. 15 years ago £350 would have got the client a standard BA or a Project Co-ordinator.
The PM charge rate to clients started at £450 and went as high as £1250.

It was not uncommon to use a high rate PM to fill a Low rate PM role if we where stuck for resources. Which might be happening in your scenario. Or you are not doing a PM role, but more a PC or Project officer role.

My IT contracting days are long over, I have hung up my spurs and have gone permanent.

My last day rate offer was £400 at a bank in 2010. I turned it down to get a less well paid, but perminant job.
It's all horses for courses.

Definitely in a PM role - not a senior PM role but PM nonetheless, working alongside permanent staff PMs.
Even for a junior PM role £180 is on the low side, but your getting experience and I hope a good package on top (pension, holiday etc).

After your two years you will be free to ask what you want. Experience is golden.

Don't forget that the 'consultancy' are effectively indemnifying you. I.e their good name is stake if you fail to perform. Unless you were interviewed an vetted by the client, your firm is on the hook.
When you're a self employed contractor working through an agency, then you'll usually be asked to put up liability insurance to cover the legal bits, but at the end of the day it's your reputation at stake if it goes tits up. Experience and qualifications count for little if your last two clients won't give you a decent reference.

Don't forget that the 'consultancy' are effectively indemnifying you. I.e their good name is stake if you fail to perform. Unless you were interviewed an vetted by the client, your firm is on the hook.
When you're a self employed contractor working through an agency, then you'll usually be asked to put up liability insurance to cover the legal bits, but at the end of the day it's your reputation at stake if it goes tits up. Experience and qualifications count for little if your last two clients won't give you a decent reference.
We are interviewed (and vetted when required) by the client.

Point taken on that reputational side of contracting though.

Even for a junior PM role £180 is on the low side, but your getting experience and I hope a good package on top (pension, holiday etc).

After your two years you will be free to ask what you want. Experience is golden.
Well when you look the company annual report and the growth then it is clearly a good business model. I do know people on more like £300+ a day but they are programme or portfolio management level (also ex forces but Maj/Lt Col+) and charged out at £750+. They squeeze every drop they can. But it is a decent pay rise from what I was on in the military and as you say, after the two years I’m free to crack on.