It IS Civil War.

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by PartTimePongo, Nov 21, 2006.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Bloodshed piles pressure on Iraqi PM, Bush

Continues here
  2. Well fcuk me. Even though it's not explicitly said, that's an admission of civil war. The defence minister also said "all measures are permissible" which I would normally take to mean martial law in the worst areas, but Iraq doesn't have enough of an army to even do that.
  3. What’s this PTP? More defeatist scaremongering?! Shame on you Sir, just because some native stumbles over his English does not mean that a little localized difficulty has blossomed into conflict.
  4. Absolutely A_J ,

I don't know what came over me to suggest the Defence Minister would have the first idea of what he was talking about.

President Bush has his own self said there isn't a civil war

....and you can take that to the bank.

Very exciteable these foreign types you know, I really think they need to drink more tea, and see this for what it is, just a little localised hi-jinks by some riff-raff.

Honestly , Arabs can be such drama queens.

But on a serious note, I expect a retraction or moderation of the comments in the next 48 hours...
  5. Is this the same Bush that said iraq had WMD? it MUST be true then :D
  6. There is no doubt that the situation in Iraq is dire, and that it is of a sectarian nature. However, when Iraqi officials
    it points to something more than an inhouse problem. When the majority of the mix is foriegn fighters facilitated by the international Baathist party who also are keeping the home grown insurgency going, it is both simplistic and wrong to label it a civil war
  7. Come, come, Dear Boy.

Having not the slightest idea about military matters in general, and what's actually going on around you, does not preclude one from being appointed Defence Minister.

Evidence, you cry!

Take a look back at a succession of HMG Defence Ministers... How many have denied overstretch and its corrosive effects again and again?

8. You make a good point Merkator.

Though I suspect this Defence Minister might know a bit , what with having to DDCO to get to the newsagents in the morning?

"Just nipping out for the papers and some milk dear, 5 rounds rapid if you'd be so kind?"
  9. The defence minister is Abdel Qader Jassim, who happened to be a Lt. General under Saddam (though I think he got sacked in the '90s). So slightly more knowledgable than the average defence minister. (Doesn't mean he's competant though)
  10. U.N. says Iraqi deaths hit new high

By Claudia Parsons

Continues here
  11. As another part of his post-election cabinet reshuffle, President Bush has announced a successor to Karen Hughes as Undersecretary of State for Public Diplomacy:

12. The Health Minister makes his statement yesterday , and today?
  13. .and to further underline it......

Baghdad blasts 'kill 132 people'

That's 2 attacks against Al-Sadr's interests in less than 24 hours...
  14. By all accounts it's a truly bad day today.
  15. I cant see how this isnt a civil war, the sunni and shia groupings are executing each other, etnically cleansing their towns/suburbs, bombing, mortering and sometimes having running gun battles with each other.

There may be some outside influences but its essentially (80%+) Iraqi V Iraqi this tells me its a civil war - the domestic death toll tells me its a civil war - the increasing conflicts between government agencies of different tribal backgrounds tells me its a civil war. The only thing that doesnt say its a civil war is the politically inspired 'no-bad-news' in the US and some parts of the UK.