It is an Officers duty to escape...

Discussion in 'The NAAFI Bar' started by walt_of_the_walts, Dec 6, 2010.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I've been watching re-runs of Colditz, and this phrase keeps coming up.

Why is it an Officers duty to escape? (other than to cause maximum inconvenience and tie down the enemies resource looking for them)

Are enlisted personnel discouraged or forbidden from escaping?

Should all Officers escape, or should some remain to ensure the welfare of those who remain and the enlisted POWs?

Is there anything formally written down or taught about this duty at Sandhurst?
  2. who cares..................
  3. Not me. I'm just curious.
  4. bi-curious??.....
  5. flirt!
  6. jim24

jim24 Book Reviewer

If you are captured, then yes, you should try to escape, but if you are ordered to surrender, then technically you could be court martialed for disobeying a direct order
  7. Does Surrendering automatically rule out trying to escape later?
  8. Umh this is one for the lawyers. Thinking on, if you escape but then surrender because your motor bike runs out of fuel just as you are about to jump the barbed wire fence that marks the border between bad guy country and a neutral one what is your status then? Must you continue trying to escape or do you have to be a good boy as you have surrendered?

And what happens if you are ordered to surrender are imprisoned but think "bugger this" and go over the wall. When you successfully row your way back to good old Blighty or fly there in the glider you have spent 3 years making in the attic of your POW camp will you get a visit from a red cap as you have disobeyed an order? Or will the same happen if you successful escape with the humble rank of private etc.

Questions questions!

I think the BBC should have a advice phone number at the end of the credits for Colditz to advise on these potentially difficult questions or perhaps we could have clarification from the MoD.
  9. Perhaps there is a difference between surrender - OK, you win, I give up - and capture - hit over the head while on stag and being bundled away by an enemy patrol.

Personally, I think if an officer surrenders then he has offered his 'parole' and is duty bound to stay where he is put as long as this doesn't jeopardise his survival. Giving up then trying to sneak off and have another go, well, it's just not the thing, is it?

Captives have not voluntarily given up the fight and are therefore free to continue.

All tosh, obviously.
  10. Dunno about Officers, but I was always told that if an opportunity presents itself you must attempt to rejoin your own side!!
  11. Main question, why would You WANT to stay as an Enemy Prisoner? surely Stalag life or Jap camp life isnt all ice cream. Would you attempt to escape if captured by terry? or say nice chaps why are you drawing a dotted line on my neck?
  12. I thought the Bosch kept the Officers in separate camps to the scrotes who could be put to work doing manual labour?

The Officers of course are not allowed to be put to work under the Geneva Convention, so had time to dig 10 mile long tunnels using only a mustard spoon and build aircraft carriers out of matchsticks, blu-tack and dead water fowl.
  13. I think you are correct as far as the boxheads are concerned, I think its still the part of the Geneva Convention now, that the plebs can be made to work while the officers cut about with ludicrous mustaches.
  14. I would have thought the more poignant question would be whether it is a cadets duty to escape once captured by their officer?
  15. Sixty

Sixty LE Moderator Book Reviewer
    1. ARRSE Cyclists and Triathletes

Has anyone ever done any research into whether they were actually genuine escape attempts or just a little of the standard geographical embarrassment when using maps?