IT guru advice collected on one page

Discussion in 'Royal Signals' started by msr, Feb 19, 2006.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. msr

msr LE

Dear All,

I have started a wiki page for the common computer questions which get asked on ARRSE.

Feel free to add you own advice to it.

2. You forgot to mention,

Use UNIX/LINUX :)
  3. Why not just use a giant condom :lol: :lol: :lol:
  4. Last year I saw, on News24, a program where they conected an unprotected windows XP machine to the internet, and started the clock.

8 seconds later it had been infected. Within an hour the PC was dead, Crushed under the weight of Malware it was down loading.

There is another useful program, I think it's called System-Tracker.
  5. But my learned friend - linux is open source. meaning anyone can peak inside the code and write a program to crack your PC.

6. msr

msr LE

And Windows is closed source, but that doesn't seem to stop the exploits.

I wish journalists would stop being lazy and start calling them 'Windows viruses' instead of 'computer viruses' as they seem strangely inffective against linux.

7. ^Thats part of the reason it comes under attack, its seen as unethical to attack Linux (and/or not a challenge as its open source)
  8. msr

msr LE

What a load of cr*p.

9. ^alright its too complicated and hacking other networks is a lot easier.
  10. Windows OS is probably deemed as an easier target within the hacking/virus fraternity. Microsoft initially writes the OS and puts it out onto the market. Then hey presto, there's more viruses than you can shake a shi**y stick at!!!

Microsoft makes you think that it's giving you an excellent OS (which I've no doubt that it does) but with all these 'bells and whistles' brings massive holes in the OS security. Then it's down to Microsoft to attempt to close these holes, but by then the hackers have already made their name. I could be going into the old 'Virus writers are actually the Anti-Virus companies' conspiracy theory.... Hey, this could turn into a new thread to discuss?
  11. What you just download from any old source, 8O are you a bit radio rentals.

A labour of love is always better than forced work.

You know it makes sense.
  12. best free ways to sort of secure windows..well as much as it can be.... download zonealarm
    then for antivirus AVG free
    then for browsing
    and for spyware

also disable the remote admin invitation from Mycomputer - Properties - Advanced
    loads more you can do, but depends on what you use your system for.
    Bigest compromise to security you can heve is a filesharing Aplication like Limewire or EMule... opens up ports on your firewall like lights on a chstmas tree and attracts loads of attenton... Whilst downloading a file I got port scanned 3 times, flooded with pings and lots of dodgy malformed packets bouncing off my machine...
    Ultimately you can move to Linux, Ubuntu is the closest things in terms of compatibility and useability to windows... I swear by it, can even run my windows apps on it using WINE, and unlike windows if you need a proggy to do something just launch the package manager (similar to windows update) and type in what you are looking for then 9 out of 10 times its there for free!...
    And most interestingly the Aegis virus scanner that comes with ubuntu even detects Windows as a virus! (if you choose to dual boot)

The difference in security between linux and windows, If incorrectly configured it is wide open to a whole load of other exploits, eg apache scripting, telnetting if not disabled amonst others... where as windows is just prone to everything.

also if you are using a cable modem or boredband router it might be worth putting in your own router in the middle instead of pluggin the wire straight into the back of your system... that way any would be attacker would have to get through NAT and the routers own firewall too
  13. Any one know anything about Wndows Vista or had a play?... i notice its nicked loads from Linux Gnome and panel applets and multi desktop...
  14. Does anyone know the name of some software so that i can track who, if anybody, is trying to ping my machine and scan my ports.

15. which OS are you using??