IT Geeks and Gurus HELP!!!! ....svchost.exe dramas.

Ok, here is the deal....

Specs...
Pentitum 4 2.8Ghz
1gig ram

I had Norton on the machine. It ran ok with it on, but I know it is an old machine so I thought I would get rid of it.

I uninstalled it, and now use McAfee anti V and webroot anti spyware.

Now it seems to be running so much faster BUT sometimes all of a sudden it goes so slow! I mean really slow! :frustrated:

I look on the Win task manager and it says that 99% of the prosessor is being used by a 'svchost.exe' program. It never used to happen before and I now want to throw it out of the fekkin window! :pissedoff:

Problem is I cant afford a new one yet.

Suggestions please?

I had this problem too. I thought it was norton so got rid but it continued. After searching the web I tracked it down to explorer and windows updates.

Im using IE7, click on tools and then windows update, it will load up the windows update page, I changed it to notify only and since then I havent had a svchost problem.

Hope that helps!

I will try that.

Thanks!

Disco said:
Im using IE7, click on tools and then windows update, it will load up the windows update page, I changed it to notify only and since then I havent had a svchost problem.
2nd'd, turn off Automatic Updates in control pannel if not got IE7, check every month to make sure you get the ones you need. This is a problem Microsoft are aware of and are meant to be addressing. It happened when they changed the updating process, pain in the arrse.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
H The NAAFI Bar 5
R The NAAFI Bar 0
T The NAAFI Bar 31