IT Geeks and Gurus HELP!!!! ....svchost.exe dramas.

Discussion in 'Gaming and Software' started by Carlos_Hathcock_II, Mar 1, 2007.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Ok, here is the deal....

Pentitum 4 2.8Ghz
    1gig ram

I had Norton on the machine. It ran ok with it on, but I know it is an old machine so I thought I would get rid of it.

I uninstalled it, and now use McAfee anti V and webroot anti spyware.

Now it seems to be running so much faster BUT sometimes all of a sudden it goes so slow! I mean really slow! :frustrated:

I look on the Win task manager and it says that 99% of the prosessor is being used by a 'svchost.exe' program. It never used to happen before and I now want to throw it out of the fekkin window! :pissedoff:

Problem is I cant afford a new one yet.

Suggestions please?
  2. As far as I know there is no way to stop this... ?
  3. I have exactly the same problem. Take a look here:

Use their SpyWare scanner and their registry cleaner - if it doesn't register as trojan then it's a vital program and you shouldn't get rid of it.

Trust me, I know the feeling of wanting to combine PC with sledgehammer because of this damn thing...
  4. I had this problem too. I thought it was norton so got rid but it continued. After searching the web I tracked it down to explorer and windows updates.

Im using IE7, click on tools and then windows update, it will load up the windows update page, I changed it to notify only and since then I havent had a svchost problem.

Hope that helps!
  5. I will try that.

6. Cow

Cow LE

2nd'd, turn off Automatic Updates in control pannel if not got IE7, check every month to make sure you get the ones you need. This is a problem Microsoft are aware of and are meant to be addressing. It happened when they changed the updating process, pain in the arrse.