Army Rumour Service

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

It does what it says on the tin.

I thought the Earl of Carnarvon looted all that kinda thing years ago ?
I was led to believe that he satin his tent, glossed over the inventory and the stuff just varnished. It was a whitewash of course. It was under the matt.

Last edited:

Joker62

ADC
Book Reviewer
What's it like on chipboard, any idea? I have a potential project and I am looking at materials....
When you say "chipboard" do you have to use that? It's just small bits of wood and sawdust glued together. Have a look at OSB - it's a lot stronger and will not break up like chipboard, especially if being moved. It should come already weatherproofed (look for a stamp on it) but it will still need weather protection.

I was led to believe that he satin his tent, glossed over the inventory and the stuff just varnished. It was a whitewash of course. It was under the matt.
Please kill yourself in a slow and painful manner...

I reckon it's due to proper construction of the tomb, instead.

They used pharaoh-crete.

When you say "chipboard" do you have to use that? It's just small bits of wood and sawdust glued together. Have a look at OSB - it's a lot stronger and will not break up like chipboard, especially if being moved. It should come already weatherproofed (look for a stamp on it) but it will still need weather protection.
I don't have to use anything, it is a project I am thinking of doing - I may decide not to. I would normally use OSB or Marine ply for this type of job, but I can get chipboard for free....

What's it like on chipboard, any idea? I have a potential project and I am looking at materials....

Chip board, you sure, that's for amateurs, at the very least 5-10 ply, or real timber , hard wood if you can afford it, although common pine does for most jobs,. Go to a reputable timber merchants, Carvers, or Travis Perkins do a reasonable lines of timber products, and their assistants have the knowledge that you may need.
Avoid MDF, as the dust particles emitted when cutting are carcinogenic, and it has been banned in the USA, but un-fortunately not in the UK.

Last edited:
Chip board, you sure, that's for amateurs, at the very least 5-10 ply, or real timber , hard wood if you can afford it, although common pine does for most jobs,. Go to a reputable timber merchants, Carvers, or Travis Perkins do a reasonable lines of timber products, and their assistants have the knowledge that you may need.
Avoid MDF, as the dust particles emitted when cutting are cariogenic, and it has been banned in the USA, but un-fortunately not in the UK.
Any waterproofing or staining-painting can be done after construction. Depending on what the article is.
I am aware of the variety of materials, but thought I would see if anyone had experience of chipboard use for outdoor things, it not being an application I have used it for.

I have a very good timber merchant near me, I normally use him for getting project stuff, along with the usual suspects for short notice stuff.

Looks like the consensus is no, so I will weigh up the cost of using other materials.

I wouldn't have even considered MDF for this job.

Might be an excuse to get the metal working tools back out and use aluminium instead...

I reckon it's due to proper construction of the tomb, instead.

They used pharaoh-crete.
"Ferrocement or ferro-cement is a system of construction using reinforced mortar or plaster applied over an "armature" of metal mesh, woven expanded-metal or metal-fibers and closely spaced thin steel rods such as rebar. The metal commonly used is iron or some type of steel."