It ain't half hot Mum.

Discussion in 'Films, Music and All Things Artsy' started by Library_Soldier2, Jan 26, 2013.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Sgt-Major shut-up Sahib's Cap-badge & Beret (being green) what & why? Yes I know it's a tv prog & not real. Ta. Oh, a BSM but not RA
  2. Eh?
    • Like Like x 1
  3. Grumblegrunt

Grumblegrunt LE Book Reviewer

maybe because he was a Bootie attached to the concert party which were amalgamated units.
  4. His cap badge is an old 'Grenade' Royal Artillery badge. Green beret, dunno but possibly commando.

5. Send key setting and specify SLIDEX or BATCO?
  6. Only 21 posts since joining in Aug 2008.

Thank ****.
    • Like Like x 1
  7. Easy; headgear, that's what the props dept had that fitted Windsor Davies's head. BSM, because that's what it says in Croft and Perry's script.

Never be afraid to ask.
  8. Oh dear. How sad. Never mind.

Attached Files:

9. I think it must have faded here. Too much washing it in rat piss.
    Still not navy blue tho.

Anyhoo were berettas even worn oop jungle?

What year was it set in and had berets replaced forage caps?.

And who really gives a tinkers cuss anyway?
    • Like Like x 1
  10. I think he wore a green beret for the same reason as:

Commander is higher than Captain in Star Wars
    Rambo can get 4,500 rounds of link through an M60 without so much as a second's stoppage
    The general in The Simpsons has his medals on the wrong side

- because the fruity biscuits who work in the thespian trades of film and television have no clue and even less interest in accuracy.

And to give dullards something to moan about on the internet!

Hope that helps!
    • Like Like x 3
  11. Auld-Yin

Auld-Yin LE Reviewer Book Reviewer Reviews Editor

I think you are wrong about the luvvies not having a clue - if you watch any period drama such as Pride & Prejudice a lot of time and money is spent on getting the clothing correct in style and wear. What the luvvies do is show their contempt for the armed forces by deliberately wearing the wrong kit or right kit worn incorrectly.

As they have wardrobe departments who spend mega bucks on research there should really be no excuse for actors playing servicemen/women wearing kit incorrectly.
  12. But your average Strawb would neither know nor care. It's only us SMEs that get hot under the collar about such triv.
  13. Never thought of it before. Fair point Croft and Perry were known to point out things that were wrong on set and Michael bates was a major in the Brigade of Gurkas and served in Burma in WW2 So a few people could have pointed out a flaw.
    Windsor Davis also did national service.
  14. Grumblegrunt

Grumblegrunt LE Book Reviewer

but but you mean he wasn't a real sergeant major? I'm horrified and feel dirty. I played cricket against them when I was 12 and they were in scarborough doing summer season.
  15. I'll bet you feel like a right tit now too that you let him finger you in the pavilion after the game was over. ;-) :p
    • Like Like x 1