'It Ain't Half Hot Mum' Banned By BBC

Discussion in 'Films, Music and All Things Artsy' started by LancePrivateJones, Apr 22, 2012.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Warning, Daily Mail Article

One of the funniest TV series ever, sent to Room 101 in the interests of PC harmony.

It Ain't Half Hot Mum never to be screened again as BBC deem it too racist for modern society | Mail Online

RIP The British Sense of Humour.

Glad I have got every episode so **** the BBC.

NB; Part of the reason given is that Michael Bates (who played Rangi Ram) was deemed to be offensive as a white man playing an Indian, this despite (former Major) Bates being born in India and fluent in Hindi.
    • Like Like x 1
  2. Was bound to happen, sooner or later. Shame - it was a good laugh. I bet whoever deemed it too racist/offensive was a white, middle aged male.
  3. They really need to grow a set it's one of the funniest series ever made. It'll be goodbye Fawlty towers.
    • Like Like x 5
  4. I'm amazed that they let 'Fawlty Towers' on at all - It depicts

1. John Cleese as a manic obsessive bi-polar psycho.

2. Andrew Sachs as total mong Spaniard...

Plus a whole scad of other folks with other serious mental health issues.

• Like Like x 1
  5. maguire

maguire LE Book Reviewer

could that not be considered equally as offensive to the spanish? ban one on that basis, you should ban them all. load of pc bollox.
  6. And Germans.
    • Like Like x 2
  7. "What have we here? A mushroom?" Mushroomism?

shoulders back lovely boy! Well nuff said
    • Like Like x 1
  8. Don't mention the WAR!
  9. Actually don't you think that it ticks all the right boxes to be made again.

1 Man with mental health issues trying to run a small holiday hotel...

2 Immigrant trying hard to intergrate into his host countries society..

3 Break up of the main character's marriage..

4 Various guests with other mental health issues plus others that arrive for 1 episode with which to be ridiculed for race/gender and such.

Sounds to me like the perfect modern BBC quota ticking program.
    • Like Like x 1
  10. Damn shame that. I got to see their live show on the pier at Bournmouth when I was a kid. Brilliant.
  11. The Veal is Veally good and Andrew Sachs is German.
    • Like Like x 1
  12. The entire thing is available from those norty torrent sites.

You ain't seen me roiight?
  13. Pathetic! The Beeb has really lost it.
  14. Agree it's a load of PC bollox. When Fawlty Towers was shown in Spain (the dubbed version) Manuel became Mexican. When the Spanish series based on Fawlty Towers was made, Manuel became Italian.
    The banning of these programmes because they are "racist" is not new. The Black and White Minstrel Show was stopped for that reason in 1978 (actually it was stopped in 1969 but a follow up, Music - Music - Music with no blacked up faces lost millions of viewers so they brought back the original which was getting 18 million viewers per show). I bet not many who objected were actually black.
    On the subject of the reason for not showing It Ain't Half Hot, Mum, does that mean most productions of Othello will also be banned? I believe Larry, Larry, Larry did a passably good one some years ago.
  15. You lot are obviously "glass half empty" types. Clearly there is an opportunity for a group of otnrapren ... err antriprin ..... err intrapren err sod it.

Clearly there is an opportunity for a group of crafty bastards like us to start a TV channel of our very own. We could call it (un)PC TV and cheaply buy up all the old stuff that the BBC and ITV daren't show any more but that's cluttering up their studios:-

It 'aint half hot mum (racist)

Love thy Neighbour (racist)

On the Buses (sexist - might be a bidding war with ITV4)

Rising Damp (racist)

The Sweeny (sexist)

Till Death do us Part (dares to suggest that the working classes could vote Tory)

Ollie Reed pissed on Parkinson (offensive in every possible way)

Magic Roundabout (Dylan off his tits on spliffs all day)

Blue Peter pre 1985 (no black presenters or regional accents, Valerie Singleton still in the closet)
    • Like Like x 2