It’s nice to be rich enough to not need aid.

Asif, the Pakistani foreign minister, said Monday that his country "does not need the $255 million in aid" that the US presently gives Pakistan. he went on to say the US did not appreciate the help Pakistan had given the US.

An example of that ‘help’. Harbouring the terrorist leader that headed up the plot that killed around 3,000 and wounded more that 6,000 people in New York.
Pakistan 'probably' knew where Osama bin Laden was hiding

Barack Obama’s administration embarrassed Islamabad in 2011 by launching a raid to kill Osama bin Laden, the 9/11 mastermind, in a villa not far from a military academy in the Pakistani city of Abbottabad.

Trump's administration had been threatening to keep the $255 million over Pakistan's alleged ties to the Haqqani network, known associates of the Afghan Taliban, since August.

It informed Congress then that it would freeze the payment until Pakistan cracked down more heavily on terrorism.

'We have been paying Pakistan billions and billions of dollars at the same time they are housing the very terrorists that we are fighting. But that will have to change, and that will change immediately,' Trump said in an August speech announcing a new strategy to combat terror in Afghanistan.

Asif, the Pakistani foreign minister, said Monday that his country does not need the money, Reuters reported. A U.S. National Security Council official meanwhile confirmed that the U.S. does not plan to distribute the funds 'at this time.’

A few more of these crackdowns on various recipients of US aid round the world that are openly antagonistic to the US could save them billions.

Perhaps the UK could take note.

Last edited:
He's threatened the Palestinians with the same if they are not willing to sit down for peace talks
Fair play to him why should the USA bankroll these places if they feel they are not helping them

All the above begs the question. Why is UK giving our hard earned tax £s to country's that have a nuclear programme, massive standing armies, and in India's case, a space programme, when back in the real world, the homeless numbers are rising, and new food banks are opening up every day?.

All the above begs the question. Why is UK giving our hard earned tax £s to country's that have a nuclear programme, massive standing armies, and in India's case, a space programme, when back in the real world, the homeless numbers are rising, and new food banks are opening up every day?.
Enshrined into law by the Coalition government in 2015, foreign aid spending has, like the NHS, long been ringfenced from years of austerity cuts. Last year was the fourth year running the government hit its 0.7% spending target, contributing a total of £13.3bn to the international aid budget.

Auld-Yin

ADC
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Reviews Editor
We should do the same. Current affairs hmm
I don't see why you appear to think this is not worthy of CA. These are ongoing matters involving one of, if not the, most powerful and influential countries in the world.

You may disagree and respond accordingly but CA it is especially with todays announcement regarding Palestine.

Enshrined into law by the Coalition government in 2015, foreign aid spending has, like the NHS, long been ringfenced from years of austerity cuts. Last year was the fourth year running the government hit its 0.7% spending target, contributing a total of £13.3bn to the international aid budget.

Understood. But times mind-sets and conditions change, we here in UK require funding greater than a foriegn country that is more than able to fund its own internal interests. All protocols can be changed, it just need the political will. Maybe a referendum is required, please step forward, again, Nigel Farage.

Which political party is going to want to change the law?

Foreign aid is a nett positive, it just needs to be targeted toward those lands where the money makes good things possible rather than trying to buy favour from those who hold the donor country in contempt.
So, financing improvements to infrastructure in agrarian societies like Fiji or Vanuatu for example rather than trying to curry favour with duplicitous pricks like the Pakistanis.

Overseas aid.
If it is to help for I stance with disaster relief after hurricanes and earthquakes etc then personally I have no issues with our money being used for humanitarian assistance.

But , for us to dish out billions to countries like India every year, No.
Let' get our own house in order first.

Which political party is going to want to change the law?
Any political party that has the best interests of its electorate at heart. A simplistic answer, beacause as we are all aware, politics is about personal enrichment, brown noseing whichever world power is dominant, and making sure the common masses are kept firmly in their place, what ever it takes.

Any political party that has the best interests of its electorate at heart. A simplistic answer, beacause as we are all aware, politics is about personal enrichment, brown noseing whichever world power is dominant, and making sure the common masses are kept firmly in their place, what ever it takes.
You need to start one of those petitions ;)

Pakistan is the largest recipient of UK foreign aid.

You gave them £374 million last year.

Pakistan also has a Space Program.

You need to start one of those petitions ;)
Are you aware of what the consequences are for the rabble who take on the establishment, Dr David Kelly is a good example. These threads , I understand are read by the spooks, Whitehall and parliament, I am sure they fully understand the resentment and bile directed towards our leaders, bankers and other un-savoury inhabitants of the political rock of which most, if not all, live under.

Are you aware of what the consequences are for the rabble who take on the establishment, Dr David Kelly is a good example. These threads , I understand are read by the spooks, Whitehall and parliament, I am sure they fully understand the resentment and bile directed towards our leaders, bankers and other un-savoury inhabitants of the political rock of which most, if not all, live under.
I’ll watch my back, thanks for the heads up....

If we went back to the days of creative accounting, that money could be siphoned off and spent on projects in the UK but still kept notionally for the foreign aid spending target

The government does that for other spending targets, so why not this sacred cow ?

If we went back to the days of creative accounting, that money could be siphoned off and spent on projects in the UK but still kept notionally for the foreign aid spending target

The government does that for other spending targets why not this sacred cow
EU & UN accountants these days I expect, we don’t run the show any more.

We may have more leeway after Brexit? But I somehow doubt it...

Last edited:

Gout Man

LE
Book Reviewer
I didn't realise it was that much. Something has to be done I'm watching the news and hospitals are cancelling non urgent operations because they haven't any spare beds. A fraction of that money could build and kit out a new hospital a year with change left over to go towards education so we can train our OWN DOCTORS, is that all to simplistic?